MetalworkingFun Forum
milling in the lathe - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: How-To's (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: milling in the lathe (/thread-117.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: milling in the lathe - krv3000 - 03-15-2012

(03-14-2012, 10:44 PM)ETC57 Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 05:42 PM)krv3000 Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 05:26 PM)DaveH Wrote: Jerry,

Oh no, that's not milling on a lathe Happyno

That is a lathe attached to a milling machine SmileSmileSmile

Good try JerryBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
yep any mill is beter than not having one and the saying gows its not the tool its the man that makes the job a good one

thats cheting

Aww come on Bob cheating Big GrinBig Grin

but defiantly easier,it may not be as ridged as a stand alone but it exceeds my ability's and it's paid for!!!Big GrinBig Grin
Jerry.Popcorn

RE: milling in the lathe - aametalmaster - 03-19-2012

I don't think anyone mills in the lathe more than me because i don't have a mill. I do a lot less since i have a 7" SBL shaper but anyways here are some of my pics and setups. I use a #3 MT endmill holder picked up on ebay. That was my first setup. Then came the ER40 Collet chuck and the #3 endmill holder barely gets used anymore. I have a plate the goes where my compound used to sit that is the right height to make my bearing fingers for the SBL steady rests. Its all the right height i just change cutters to suit. Anyway enjoy the pics. Any ???? just ask...Bob

RE: milling in the lathe - aametalmaster - 03-19-2012

A few more...Bob

RE: milling in the lathe - krv3000 - 03-20-2012

(03-19-2012, 08:18 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: A few more...Bob

all good stuf well dun

RE: milling in the lathe - EdK - 03-20-2012

Hi Bob,

Very creative use of a lathe for milling. Thanks for posting the pictures. Smiley-signs107

Ed

RE: milling in the lathe - DaveH - 03-20-2012

Wow Bob,

Some very clever set ups there. Well if some need to know where to get some ideas from, they know who to ask Smile

Great pics Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: milling in the lathe - ETC57 - 03-20-2012

Very impressive work, I must admit I probably would have never even considered trying to do mill work on a lathe.

Jerry.Popcorn

RE: milling in the lathe - aametalmaster - 03-20-2012

Thanks guys. Here are a few more. The vee groove is for my home made taper attachment where the block bolts to the ways and i have some pics of the TA too...Bob

RE: milling in the lathe - doubleboost - 03-20-2012

Hi
Bob
Nice work
Good pictures
I did a bit of that before i bought a mill drill
I still machine tool holder slots that way
Thanks for posting
John

RE: milling in the lathe - SnailPowered - 08-23-2012

So does a milling attachment just make it a little easier or...? I was all about getting a mill so that I could make slots with end mills into round tubing but it sure seems like these improvised methods will do just about anything I could possibly want! The lathe I bought has a milling attachment is the reason I ask.