MetalworkingFun Forum
New Log Splitter - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: New Log Splitter (/thread-1252.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: New Log Splitter - sasquatch - 04-03-2013

Interesting pics Steve, thanks for posting.

RE: New Log Splitter - stevec - 04-03-2013

"Steve,You'll have to direct your question to those that wrote the forum software."

Guys, I don't think so. I think I can learn how not to continue making mistakes (given enough tries at it).
Let's hope my learning curve isn't too long.

RE: New Log Splitter - f350ca - 04-03-2013

Coming along nicely Steve. I've often thought of trying to radius a part like that but never had the cazoonas.

RE: New Log Splitter - stevec - 04-03-2013

Works great Greg, fast, and as long as you have a good leverage (like a vice grip) and DON"T CLIMB it's cool, I do it often.

RE: New Log Splitter - stevec - 04-19-2013

Painfully slow progress is being made.
Here's a couple of pics of the Log Lifter.

[attachment=5047] [attachment=5048]

The yellow nylon rope will be replaced by these.

[attachment=5049]

It's doubtful that the rope will be up to the task. 17428

I'm planning to bolt the cyl. supports to the bottom of the beam so they can be switched to allow the lifter to operate on the other side of the splitter if need be, the lifter pivot pillow blocks are bolted and can be switched to the other side also.

Further welding on the project is on hold as I'm having a "spot of bother" with my electrical service panel and it's main breaker.
the contact with one of the 2 buss bars had arced a little and would buzz audibly. It's either a case of metal "flowing" or design fault, but tightening the screw that makes the contact doesn't help due to the deterioration of the copper buss bar and breaker contact from the arcing.

I was able to insert a copper "wedge" and hold it there with a block of plastic so that we can survive electrically while my electrician rounds up a new 100 amp panel.

[attachment=5050]

We are "apportioning" high current usage of stove, dryer, hot water heater, welder, etc. for the time being.

A new main breaker is no longer available and even if it were it's questionable as to whether the panel buss bar is serviceable where it connects to the breaker.
So, it'll be a new panel and breakers = BIG JOB! Bash

RE: New Log Splitter - EdK - 04-19-2013

Well that sure sucks. But it's better than having the place burn down. Good luck with the electrical work Steve.

Ed

RE: New Log Splitter - TomG - 04-19-2013

I don't envy your task of swapping out the panel. I was just up to my ears in mine running a new 220V outlet and it's not one of my favorite activities. Swapping out the entire panel is a huge job.

How does the lifter work Steve? Will it have a plate on it like a hand truck to hold the logs?

Tom

RE: New Log Splitter - stevec - 04-19-2013

Ya Tom "a plate like a hand truck" ( that was the term I couldn't come up with) 'cept it'll have to be 10" or so to handle the 19"+/- logs that I really need the lift for. It'll hinge up for when I'm working from that side without the need for the lift.

RE: New Log Splitter - DaveH - 04-19-2013

Coming along nicely Steve, Smiley-signs107
I think you're right about the string - wrong colour Thumbsup Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: New Log Splitter - stevec - 05-10-2013

Latest progress report:-
The wedge "socket" is welded into the H beam.
[attachment=5232]

I finished the cylinder bracket for the log lifter
I decided to bolt the log lifter and it's cyl. support to the H beam in case I wanted to change sides for some reason.
It's all upside down in these pics sitting on "my best friend", my little electric for lift.
[attachment=5231]
I took care to locate the holes so they'd line up for either side installation.
[attachment=5230]
In the background you can see one of the reasons for my slow progress.
[attachment=5229]
It's ready to go so won't cause any delays on my shop work (cough , choke).
[attachment=5233]