MetalworkingFun Forum
Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe (/thread-1263.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - TomG - 03-26-2013

I was making some threaded collars tonight and one of the steps was to cut a 3/4-14 internal thread. It's so much different than cutting threads on other lathes that I thought you might enjoy seeing the process.

Tom

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - stevec - 03-27-2013

That's pretty slick Tom! Thumbsup
But with my right hand -left hand spasticity I'd have a crash well before the thread was to depth. Rotfl

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - PixMan - 03-27-2013

I've used the Hardinge HLV-H toolroom lathes and their super-slick threading before. I'd like to believe that there's nothing easier for manual lathe threading, but I've never run a Monarch 10EE. I believe both machines use a dog clutch mechanism. I do like the HLV-H a lot though, it's a well thought out machine, high quality construction. Robust cuts aren't going to happen, bu for the intended purpose it's quite a nice machine.

Nice video, thanks for putting it together and posting it.

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - TomG - 03-27-2013

One other feature I forgot to mention is the auto stop. You can set it to stop the tool when threading to a shoulder and it will stop within thousandths every time (even with a spastic hand). It's a bit scary to use the first time, but once you get over the initial terror of threading full speed to a shoulder or the chuck hands off, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Tom

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - Mayhem - 03-27-2013

Ken pointed out the retracting lever when we visited the L.S. Starrett plant in Athol, MA and I thought it was a cool feature. This is the first time I have seen it in use and I am really glad you took the time to put the video up Tom. Of course, I have seen that particular lathe in person but both Tom and I were enjoying one of his home brews, so it never got fired up.

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - DaveH - 03-27-2013

Tom,
Really slick and quick Thumbsup
Nicely shown Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - Brian - 03-27-2013

(03-27-2013, 01:09 PM)DaveH Wrote: Tom,
Really slick and quick Thumbsup
Nicely shown Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

+ 2 tom Oh for a lathe of that quality

Perhaps I could saySign0087

Brian

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - doubleboost - 03-27-2013

Hi
Tom
Nice video clip
I have never seen a top slide like that
Top quality latheDroolDroolDroolDroolDroolDrool
John

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - EdK - 03-27-2013

Tom,

Thanks for the tip about cutting steel threads by advancing the compound versus cutting Delrin threads using the cross slide. I did not know that about Delrin but it makes good sense. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: Thread Cutting on the Hardinge Lathe - Hopefuldave - 03-27-2013

Nice... I have a quick-withdraw too on my Holbrook (on the cross-slide, which has two sets of dovetails so taper attachment and power cross-feed are independent), but for no readily apparent reason they left out leadscrew reverse on the model C... All the other Holbrooks got it :( I have to rely on the VFD and transmission brake to stop when threading, Dammit!

I have a cunning plan to add it, it's getting the stops to work (without a horribly complicated mechanism) on threading that has me stumped...

Dave H. (the other one)