MetalworkingFun Forum
Part for the Cinci - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Welding & Casting (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Part for the Cinci (/thread-1516.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Part for the Cinci - dallen - 07-20-2013

as most know I been working on and OLD Cincinnati Back Geared Shaper only problem is that it has some parts that are either broken or missing.

one of the missing parts is the ratchet pawl for the table feed, which I started making a pattern a couple weeks ago. well I sorta finished the pattern last night. anyway got enough paint on it that I could ram it up without the sand sticking to it so this morning I melted some metal.

an as they say it didn't happen if theres no picture so here they are.
first up is the setup that I use in one of my furnaces when I have to melt semi large amounts of aluminum.
[Image: 2013-07-20084614.jpg]

second is the mold rammed and ready to pour, sorry didn't take any shots of the mold open.
[Image: 2013-07-20083850.jpg]

third is of the important stuff, like you can't have a casting without some molten metal to pour into the mold right.
[Image: 2013-07-20083937.jpg]

molds all filled up and none left over for the ingot tray
[Image: 2013-07-20084438.jpg]

the end results of the mornings playing in the backyard. After casting the pin in the part I remembered that I hadn't coated it in soot plus it had a rough finish which wouldn't let it slip out when I put it in my press.
[Image: 100_0532-1.jpg]

on the mill and working on the two bores that I need to do.
[Image: 100_0537-1.jpg]

part on the shaper still have a couple of drilling jobs to do to finish the part
[Image: 100_0538-1.jpg]

and the required photo that shows the ugly spots in the casting, if this part was for someone else I would of re poured it, the spots you see are from sand that pulled off the edge and ended up in the cavity when the mold was closed.
If this works out I plan to redo this part in cast iron.
[Image: 100_0536.jpg]

RE: Part for the Cinci - doubleboost - 07-20-2013

Nice solid looking casting DroolDroolDrool
John

RE: Part for the Cinci - dallen - 07-20-2013

Thanks John, casting was made from aluminum car wheel that has had some copper added to it, plus I use a commercial flux with some degasser added in.

here's the photo showing it in place with the linkage hooked up and the spring loaded pawl in place, only thing left to do is make a knob cut a locator slot in the top. works pretty good just need to remove some more backlash from the leadscrew.

[Image: 59ddd3f3-b94c-416c-9b94-1db2e3dbd769.jpg]

RE: Part for the Cinci - EdK - 07-20-2013

Nice David. You'll have that thing purring in no time. Happyyes

Ed

RE: Part for the Cinci - dallen - 07-21-2013

Ed, I don't know about the purring, but I do hope to get it so that its useable. But its actually more of a time killer than anything else plus I get to mess around with molten metal while trying to fix the broken/missing parts.

one thing I didn't think of till after I had the ratchet made and installed was the steel pin inside the aluminum ratchet housing and corrosion, so guess I'll have to put in a lube point. But thinking about it I can just let a couple drops run down the rod by pulling the knob up when I get it made and installed.

RE: Part for the Cinci - TomG - 07-21-2013

Nice job on the casting dallen. I noticed your mention of redoing the part in cast iron. Have you cast iron before? I've been looking into it and have a few books on build small cupolo furnaces. The biggest problem I can see is finding a supply for small amounts of coke. It's not like you can run down the the local Home Depot to pick some up and unless you want to commit to a gondola car full, no one wants to talk to you.

Tom

Tom, yes I''ve melted cast iron before with both propane and waste oil, its not really hard just takes a decent burner and a furnace made out of some of the newer light weight insulating refactories. Most people that are into casting that can melt brass/bronze alloys can probably melt cast iron.

your right about the coke thou about the smallest amount you can buy is a tote which will run around a ton. then you have to work your but off to get it down to a size that you cupola can handle cause if its too small or too large it won't burn like it should. Only reason I see for a cupola is if your going to do a lot of casting. Heck with my casting I can ram the mold up and have it poured before most people with a cupola can even get it hot enough to start building the stack in it to melt with.

RE: Part for the Cinci - oldgoaly - 07-21-2013

Finding people to help cast is hard! I've had a few metal melts here and I'm always having to do more than the body really can handle (bad shoulders and knees) I have a 1/2 built cupola, have a good idea where to pile the truck load of coke.
I probably have about a 1/2 ton of petrobond, Simpson muller and a power riddler. I'm thinking a cupolette, waste-full on fuel but one or two batches is all I can handle. Here a few pics of the shed I have dedicated to hot work, too much other stuff in my main shop, don't want to burn it down!!! plus the crushed limestone is the best floor for a foundry/blacksmith's shop.
http://s228.photobucket.com/user/oldgoaly/library/Foundry%20and%20Blacksmith%20shop?sort=3&page=1

Don't know when I'll do the next one they have been rebuilding the road in front of the house, when it's done will be real nice and easy to find, the detour isn't bad.

Oldgoaly you got a lot of store bought equipment there, all of mine is homemade except for my crucibles. I've watched them pour from a cupola at OU in the fall when they do one. one things for sure pulling 2300 degree crucibles isn't a lot of fun in the summer time

I made my muller and mix my own petrobond its about the only way you can get consistent sand in Oklahoma in the summer time when it gets hot. Waterbonded sand dries out too fast.

If it wasn't so far I'd drop by and help you pour.

DA

RE: Part for the Cinci - oldgoaly - 07-21-2013

Well yes there is, but you can't build them for what I paid for them! only new things crucibles, temperature wand, and the hf cement mixer. I don't want to take your thread over need to start cheap buys or how not to pay too much thread!
Ps, if you get up this way I'm just 20 minutes outside of St. Louis, Mo.