MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - DaveH - 04-29-2012

Perfect Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - ETC57 - 04-29-2012

Nicely done Ed,Smiley-signs107

Jerry.Popcorn

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - doubleboost - 04-29-2012

Perfect
I just love over engineering
John

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 04-29-2012

It worked very well. Smiley-dancenana

Took all of 1 minute to press them both in. It took a whole lot longer to make the tool. Rolleyes

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ed

[attachment=947]

[attachment=948]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - f350ca - 04-29-2012

Nicely done Ed. The prep work always takes longer than the actual repair.
By the way that bench is WAY to clean.
Greg

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Mayhem - 04-30-2012

(04-29-2012, 05:45 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Perfect
I just love over engineering
John

It would only be over engineering if he had knurled the larger diameter!

Ed - how does that fit together with the mill?

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 04-30-2012

(04-29-2012, 08:47 PM)f350ca Wrote: By the way that bench is WAY to clean.
Greg

Greg,

You should have seen it before I cleared it off in order to get the arbor up on it. And in the process of lifting the arbor from the floor to the bench I dropped the cast iron swivel table on my foot. More than a few choice words were spewed forth. Jawdrop

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 04-30-2012

(04-30-2012, 12:33 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ed - how does that fit together with the mill?

Mayhem,

That gear assembly is driven by the gear train. The splined shaft for the spindle fits up into that assembly and is driven by the mating splines of that gear assembly. Clear as mud? Chin

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - henryarnold - 05-01-2012

Ed,

Today I started tearing down my RF45 type Mill. I got the head off and apart. My seals are installed the opposite direction from the way yours are installed. I believe your direction is correct and that my seals were installed wrong!

Some Observations on my tear down.
-The inside of my head had a thin layer of what looks like rust but rubs off. No shavings.
-My Grizzly G0519 is identical to your pictures although I believe your column and yoke are slightly different.
- In addition to my seals being upside down, I believe that oil was leaking past the disk that the seals are pressed into. There's a rubber gasket but there was evidence that oil had gone past this gasket.
-Thanks for the tips on how to remove the rubber plugs. Are you going to reuse them or make new ones?
-I had another leak through a control box mounting screw hole that went through to the gearbox.
-Did you replace the seals for the gearbox selector shafts? Mine don't appear to be leaking but I'm afraid that if I skip them, they will leak next.
-My sight glass is plastic like yours. It wasn't leaking but I removed it anyway and found that it had a rubber gasket AND Teflon tape on the threads.

Thanks for posting this thread. It is very helpful. If anyone wants to see additional pictures, I'm also documenting my rebuild and can post them.
Henry Arnold

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - tlfamm - 05-02-2012

One vote for seeing your pictures, Henry.