MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - DaveH - 05-02-2012

Henry,

Please start a new thread we would all like to see the rebuild Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 05-02-2012

Henry,

We can never have too many pictures. Rolleyes

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - ETC57 - 05-02-2012

Henry,6799

I vote for pics please.Thumbsup

Jerry.Popcorn

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - henryarnold - 05-02-2012

(05-02-2012, 04:14 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Henry,6799

I vote for pics please.Thumbsup

Jerry.Popcorn

I'll start a new thread tomorrow and post one last message here. Here's what happened today:

I worked most of the day on my mill. Everything is stripped down except the spindle. I removed all seals and all bearings. Most of the bearings I bought a year ago are the wrong ones. I bought all SKF which is somewhat of a name brand. My spindle bearings are the same as Ed's, 30206 and 30207 but I did not buy high quality ones. Tomorrow I’ll go to a local bearing store and get everything I need including higher quality 30206 and 30207 tapered bearings. I think Ed said he bought high quality Timken tapered bearings.

Ed suggested using Permatex #2 to seal the case up and for the seal plate.

I tried to disassemble my spindle without success. I removed the end plate with the 3 dimples by unscrewing it. I removed the castellated nut and its keeper but I can’t remove the spindle. I thought the bearing inner races should only be snug fit so that the tension on the tapered bearing can be adjusted but mine appears to be jammed or else I’m missing something. I have asked for Ed's help.

I removed my gear selectors and their seals. The seals seemed kind of hard so it’s just as well that I replace them. I don’t want to do any of this again.

I made a tool similar to what Ed made for installing the seals from 2.5” round aluminum. On one end I turned it for the spindle seals and the other end I turned to remove and install the 6007 bearings and motor seal.

After thinking about this rebuild for a day I am convinced that my leak was due to either the seals being upside down, the large gasket for the seal plate leaking, or maybe both. I feel fairly sure that my rebuild will fix the problem. I have to agree with Ed, none of my bearings seemed very bad. The only bearings that have a chance of making an improvement on the mill operation are the tapered bearings inside the spindle.

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread with pictures. Some of my pictures will be repeats of what Ed has shown.

Thanks Ed for kick starting me on this.

Henry Arnold

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - henryarnold - 05-03-2012

Here's the new thread documenting my mill head rebuild.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=368

I named it similar to this thread so anyone having this problem will likely find both threads.

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 05-06-2012

Henry talked me into replacing the gear selector shaft seals even though I wasn't going to do it, out of laziness I guess. Blush

I had to make a tool to get the shafts out along with the seals. A simple jack screw type tool that worked very well for the task.

Ed

[attachment=1031]

[attachment=1032]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-09-2012

I had to make a seal installation tool to get the gear selector shaft seals installed. I butchered the first one trying to install it with just a hammer. Dumb move, I know. Blush

It's a simple tool with an ID bore to fit over the shaft and an OD collar that is the same size as the OD of the seal. Worked very well for a butcher like myself. Smile

Ed

[attachment=1152]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 04:32 PM)EdAK Wrote: Worked very well for a butcher like myself. Smile
Ed

You are no butcher EdThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - ETC57 - 05-09-2012

Ed,

If you butcher stakes like you machine metal I'LL HAVE WHAT YOUR HAVEN!!!Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-eatdrink004

Jerry. Popcorn

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-09-2012

Thanks guys. Smile

Ed