MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 04:32 PM)EdAK Wrote: I had to make a seal installation tool to get the gear selector shaft seals installed. I butchered the first one trying to install it with just a hammer. Dumb move, I know. Blush

It's a simple tool with an ID bore to fit over the shaft and an OD collar that is the same size as the OD of the seal. Worked very well for a butcher like myself. Smile

Ed

Thanks for posting the picture. Again you saved me some aggravation by solving the problem ahead of time. I'll make a similar tool for my seal installation.

Henry Arnold

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 06:52 PM)henryarnold Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 04:32 PM)EdAK Wrote: I had to make a seal installation tool to get the gear selector shaft seals installed. I butchered the first one trying to install it with just a hammer. Dumb move, I know. Blush

It's a simple tool with an ID bore to fit over the shaft and an OD collar that is the same size as the OD of the seal. Worked very well for a butcher like myself. Smile

Ed

Thanks for posting the picture. Again you saved me some aggravation by solving the problem ahead of time. I'll make a similar tool for my seal installation.

Henry Arnold

Henry,

Another tip. Be sure to install the arm on the inside end of the left hand gear selector shaft prior to installing the seal on that shaft. If you don't, you'll have to knock the shaft and seal out to install it and then you'll be short a seal. Don't ask how I know that (luckily I had a extra seal available). Blush

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Mayhem - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 04:32 PM)EdAK Wrote: ...I butchered the first one trying to install it with just a hammer. Dumb move, I know. Blush...
Only a dumb move if you fail to learn from it, which you did, so all good.

(05-09-2012, 07:59 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 04:32 PM)EdAK Wrote: ...I butchered the first one trying to install it with just a hammer. Dumb move, I know. Blush...
Only a dumb move if you fail to learn from it, which you did, so all good.

Hey, good point Mayhem. I feel better now. Big Grin

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Highpower - 05-09-2012

I guess it's a good thing you guys have lathes, on which to make these mill repair tools eh? Big Grin

Smiley-dancenana

(05-09-2012, 08:23 PM)Highpower Wrote: I guess it's a good thing you guys have lathes, on which to make these mill repair tools eh? Big Grin

Smiley-dancenana

Ya got that right!

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-10-2012

(05-09-2012, 08:23 PM)Highpower Wrote: I guess it's a good thing you guys have lathes, on which to make these mill repair tools eh? Big Grin

Smiley-dancenana

Doesn't everyone that has a mill, have a lathe? How would you fix the mill?

Joking aside, I'll loan any tools I make out to anyone that wants to tackle this job. I should also have a spare sight glass and some other parts. At the end of my repair, I'll offer what I have available. Ed kindly sent me an extra sight glass he bought.

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Mayhem - 05-10-2012

Hey Henry, it always worries me when I repair something and there are parts left over at the end. Even more so when it still works afterwards!!!

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Dave J - 05-10-2012

Ed you have been busy, looks like your doing some nice work there and the mill will run better after it.

Dave

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-10-2012

(05-10-2012, 08:04 AM)Dave J Wrote: the mill will run better after it.

Dave

Dave,

I sure hope so. Importing a mill from China may not happen for me so I'll have to live with my current mill for awhile longer. Not that it's a bad mill, I'm just wishing for a larger, more rigid mill to upgrade to.

Ed