MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Mayhem - 05-10-2012

What happened Ed? I thought you were importing one from Timeway?

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-10-2012

(05-10-2012, 08:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: What happened Ed? I thought you were importing one from Timeway?

Mayhem,

I may still go forward with importing a mill but it will likely not be from Timeway. I'm looking at a mill from another vendor that has a couple of features I want that Timeway does not offer for only about $200 more than the Timeway would cost. Based on some bad experiences and bad feelings, that I don't want to go into, I'm taking my time to think this thoroughly through before I dive in.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 05-10-2012

(05-10-2012, 12:10 PM)EdAK Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 08:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: What happened Ed? I thought you were importing one from Timeway?
I'm taking my time to think this thoroughly through before I dive in.
Ed

Always a good plan of actionThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-12-2012

The mill is just about ready to have the top reinstalled and then the quill with spindle. I've decided to paint the head as long as I had it stripped down. So today I'm applying bondo to the areas where the factory goop has fallen out. It won't look pretty but should look better than the factory job. I painted the top already and it turned out OK.

Ed

[attachment=1338]

[attachment=1337]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-12-2012

(05-12-2012, 11:37 AM)EdAK Wrote: The mill is just about ready to have the top reinstalled and then the quill with spindle. I've decided to paint the head as long as I had it stripped down. So today I'm applying bondo to the areas where the factory goop has fallen out. It won't look pretty but should look better than the factory job. I painted the top already and it turned out OK.

Ed

I didn't mention it but after I assembled the top and bottom of my head, the Permatex squeeze out was difficult to remove without getting it on the paint. I ended up cleaning it off with paint thinner and putting another coat of paint on the head. I taped off all of the openings and machined surfaces before painting it.

Henry

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Dave J - 05-13-2012

A tip for the Permatex getting on your fresh paint, is to run some electrical tape either side of the join while your putting it together, and then just remove it after woods. Using electrical tape is better than masking tape because it's not so sticky and wont peel your new paint off when removed.

Dave

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-13-2012

Denatured alcohol also works to remove the Permatex and doesn't attack the paint. I used it to clean up the Permatex squeez-out when I used it on my lathe and it didn't remove any of the paint. It takes more rubbing with the alcohol but it does work.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-13-2012

(05-13-2012, 08:15 AM)EdAK Wrote: Denatured alcohol also works to remove the Permatex and doesn't attack the paint. I used it to clean up the Permatex squeeze-out when I used it on my lathe and it didn't remove any of the paint. It takes more rubbing with the alcohol but it does work.

Ed
Good idea. That would have saved me having to touch up my paint. If you are cleaning up Permatex, I assume you got your mill head together. All went well?
Henry

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Mayhem - 05-13-2012

(05-13-2012, 08:54 PM)henryarnold Wrote: ...That would have saved me having to touch up my paint...

I generally give a final coat of paint whenever rebuilding or repairing an engine or gearbox etc, as it provides another layer of protection.

Nice work on the rebuild. This and Ed's post should be made available as pdf documents in the file section. I'd remove the responses to make it cleaner but include links to the respective posts. Also ensure that your names and the name of the site is on them too.

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - November X-ray - 05-14-2012

(05-13-2012, 03:14 AM)Dave J Wrote: A tip for the Permatex getting on your fresh paint, is to run some electrical tape either side of the join while your putting it together, and then just remove it after woods. Using electrical tape is better than masking tape because it's not so sticky and wont peel your new paint off when removed.

Dave

If available to you, try the new "frog" masking tape, it won't stick hard enough to pull off your paint but it creates a barrier along the edge so nothing gets beneath it. It's available at most home improvement places.