MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 05-14-2012

(05-13-2012, 08:54 PM)henryarnold Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 08:15 AM)EdAK Wrote: Denatured alcohol also works to remove the Permatex and doesn't attack the paint. I used it to clean up the Permatex squeeze-out when I used it on my lathe and it didn't remove any of the paint. It takes more rubbing with the alcohol but it does work.

Ed
Good idea. That would have saved me having to touch up my paint. If you are cleaning up Permatex, I assume you got your mill head together. All went well?
Henry

Henry,

No, the mill head needs to be painted first. Then I'll tackle the reassembly. I used the Permatex on my lathe and used the alcohol to clean up the squeeze-out with good results.
Despite my attempts as reserving the weekend for working on the mill, it just didn't happen so I'm behind, as usual. Rolleyes

Ed

(05-14-2012, 06:04 AM)November X-ray Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 03:14 AM)Dave J Wrote: A tip for the Permatex getting on your fresh paint, is to run some electrical tape either side of the join while your putting it together, and then just remove it after woods. Using electrical tape is better than masking tape because it's not so sticky and wont peel your new paint off when removed.

Dave

If available to you, try the new "frog" masking tape, it won't stick hard enough to pull off your paint but it creates a barrier along the edge so nothing gets beneath it. It's available at most home improvement places.

November,

That is my plan since I already have some of the frog tape. It's worked well for me in the past so it should work to help keep the squeeze-out contained.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Dave J - 05-14-2012

(05-14-2012, 06:04 AM)November X-ray Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 03:14 AM)Dave J Wrote: A tip for the Permatex getting on your fresh paint, is to run some electrical tape either side of the join while your putting it together, and then just remove it after woods. Using electrical tape is better than masking tape because it's not so sticky and wont peel your new paint off when removed.

Dave

If available to you, try the new "frog" masking tape, it won't stick hard enough to pull off your paint but it creates a barrier along the edge so nothing gets beneath it. It's available at most home improvement places.

Welcome to the forum.Welcome
You US guys speak a different language to us, LOL Frog tape never heard of it? We have 24 hour, 7 day, 30 day etc tape at the paint stores but it's expensive (something like $7 a roll). I only suggested the electrical tap because most people have it around and it's cheap. You guys are spoiled over there with everything thats available and the prices you get them for and some with free postage, never heard of over here, or if they do they sting you with the price to make up for the postage.
Thats why we all buy from over there.

Dave

(05-14-2012, 10:09 AM)Dave J Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 06:04 AM)November X-ray Wrote: If available to you, try the new "frog" masking tape, it won't stick hard enough to pull off your paint but it creates a barrier along the edge so nothing gets beneath it. It's available at most home improvement places.

You US guys speak a different language to us, LOL Frog tape never heard of it? We have 24 hour, 7 day, 30 day etc tape at the paint stores but it's expensive (something like $7 a roll). I only suggested the electrical tap because most people have it around and it's cheap. You guys are spoiled over there with everything thats available and the prices you get them for and some with free postage, never heard of over here, or if they do they sting you with the price to make up for the postage.

Dave

Dave,

Here you go.

http://www.frogtape.com/

It's just a type of painters tape that they charge more for. I have used it and it does seem to work as advertised. YMMV Smile

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 05-14-2012

(05-13-2012, 09:42 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice work on the rebuild. This and Ed's post should be made available as pdf documents in the file section. I'd remove the responses to make it cleaner but include links to the respective posts. Also ensure that your names and the name of the site is on them too.
Mayhem,
I think this is a good idea, we are working on itThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-14-2012

(05-14-2012, 01:37 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 09:42 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice work on the rebuild. This and Ed's post should be made available as pdf documents in the file section. I'd remove the responses to make it cleaner but include links to the respective posts. Also ensure that your names and the name of the site is on them too.
Mayhem,
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Guys,

I already created the PDF. Where may I post it permanently?

Here it is for now
[attachment=1638]

Henry

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 05-14-2012

Henry,

Thanks very much that is really nice of you Worthy

We have a Resource forum with a File Section, if you could post it there it would be good. Also in there you can put a link to your Thread. Ties it altogether.

Thanks Henry
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Dave J - 05-14-2012

(05-14-2012, 12:25 PM)EdAK Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 10:09 AM)Dave J Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 06:04 AM)November X-ray Wrote: If available to you, try the new "frog" masking tape, it won't stick hard enough to pull off your paint but it creates a barrier along the edge so nothing gets beneath it. It's available at most home improvement places.

Dave

Dave,

Here you go.

http://www.frogtape.com/

It's just a type of painters tape that they charge more for. I have used it and it does seem to work as advertised. YMMV Smile

Ed

Looks like great tape, might have to import some when I line my shed out and paint it.

Dave

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - henryarnold - 05-18-2012

(05-14-2012, 03:12 PM)henryarnold Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 01:37 PM)DaveH Wrote:
Mayhem,
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Guys,

I already created the PDF. Where may I post it permanently?

Here it is for now

Henry

Ed posted a newer version of this document to the Resources/Files section of this forum. The newer document has a parts list and some suggested tools for the job.
Henry Arnold

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 06-27-2012

Ed,
You sure are making a meal out of painting it RotflRotflRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH