MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - arvidj - 07-18-2012

(07-17-2012, 06:26 PM)EdK Wrote: Some progress on the electrical enclosure.

Ed

That looks like you have the older style Hitachi VFD. I like them a lot more than the new ones because the display and buttons can be easily removed and put where ever they need to be.

The new, improved models do not have the feature, but you can buy a "remote display" for close to a triple digit figure if you want the same functionality you got for free in the old one.

Arvid

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 07-18-2012

(07-18-2012, 01:11 PM)arvidj Wrote: That looks like you have the older style Hitachi VFD. I like them a lot more than the new ones because the display and buttons can be easily removed and put where ever they need to be.

The new, improved models do not have the feature, but you can buy a "remote display" for close to a triple digit figure if you want the same functionality you got for free in the old one.

Arvid

Arvid,

Yup, mine is the SJ200 series which was replaced by the WJ200 series. When I went looking for a VFD for my lathe I wanted to get another SJ200 but they had quit making them so I got a Teco VFD instead. I still think the Hitachi's are some of the best VFDs you can get and their manuals are better than any other VFD manual I've looked at. That's why they cost a bit more than the Teco's.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - arvidj - 07-18-2012

(07-18-2012, 01:39 PM)EdK Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 01:11 PM)arvidj Wrote: That looks like you have the older style Hitachi VFD. I like them a lot more than the new ones because the display and buttons can be easily removed and put where ever they need to be.

Arvid

Arvid,

Yup, mine is the SJ200 series which was replaced by the WJ200 series. When I went looking for a VFD for my lathe I wanted to get another SJ200 but they had quit making them so I got a Teco VFD instead. I still think the Hitachi's are some of the best VFDs you can get and their manuals are better than any other VFD manual I've looked at. That's why they cost a bit more than the Teco's.

Ed

I agree. I really like the Hitachi's that I have. One SJ and two WJ's. Was just disappointed when I opened the box for the WJ's and discovered that I could not remove the panel. But I'll get over it.

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 07-19-2012

I was going to leave that divot on the outside of the lid but it just kept staring at me so I'm going to fill it in with some bondo and then paint the lid.

Ed

[attachment=2465]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 07-19-2012

Ed,
Yep I know what you mean Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - arvidj - 07-20-2012

(07-19-2012, 06:38 PM)EdK Wrote: I was going to leave that divot on the outside of the lid but it just kept staring at me so I'm going to fill it in with some bondo and then paint the lid.

Ed

The plastic box equivalent on an inney?

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 07-20-2012

(07-20-2012, 12:33 AM)arvidj Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 06:38 PM)EdK Wrote: I was going to leave that divot on the outside of the lid but it just kept staring at me so I'm going to fill it in with some bondo and then paint the lid.

Ed

The plastic box equivalent on an inney?

Arvid,

Pretty darn close. Big Grin

It's just plain ugly so it has to go.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 08-30-2012

I never did post a picture of the lid after getting rid of the inney and painting it. The paint job didn't turn out the best but it's still better than the raw gray PVC color. Happyyes

Ed

[attachment=2765]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 08-30-2012

Ed,
Looks very smart ThumbsupWorthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 08-30-2012

Thanks Dave.

I have a 3-day weekend coming up so I hope to get that electrical enclosure all done and get my mill all hooked up and ready for some action. I got the VFD cable from Allied Electronics today so I should have all of the pieces I need to finish it off.

Ed