MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 09-08-2012

Finally some more progress on the mill. I definitely need to change the resistor value for the blue LED. It's way too bright.

Ed

[attachment=2872]

[attachment=2873]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 09-08-2012

Ed,
Well that sure is prettyThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks Dave. I still need to label the switches and lights but it's almost functional. No smoke when I turned the power on but it's not responding to the run switch. It might just be a VFD setting that I have to tweak. Although, it worked prior to the tear-down for the head rebuild. I'll figure it out.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Highpower - 09-08-2012

(09-08-2012, 12:05 PM)EdK Wrote: I definitely need to change the resistor value for the blue LED. It's way too bright.

Ed

Resistor value

I think blue LED's are about 3.6V? 17428

Awesome job Ed. That looks great! Smiley-eatdrink004

(09-08-2012, 12:32 PM)Highpower Wrote: Resistor value

I think blue LED's are about 3.6V? 17428

Awesome job Ed. That looks great! Smiley-eatdrink004

It's 3.5V for this LED which would mean I need a 425 Ohm resistor and the closest I had was a 390 Ohm. I'm going to try a 600 Ohm. I think it'll still be plenty bright for my needs with the 600 Ohm resistor.

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Highpower - 09-08-2012

Ughhh.... I'm ready to pull my hair out looking at those things. I'm tired of swapping them out on my bore cleaner project, and just ordered a resistance decade box for testing purposes. And I thought machine tools were expensive... Jawdrop

I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I could have added a couple of 425 ohm to my order and dropped them into the mail for you. Bash

Some day (famous last words) I need to tear into the power feed on my mill table and figure out a new LED to use on that. The factory one is an amber LED that is so dim I can't even see it when the shop lighting is off. I keep forgetting to turn the power switch off on it when I'm done because the LED doesn't grab my attention at all. Bleh

Thanks for the thought Willie but I can probably dig up a 600 Ohm, 1/4W resistor from work. We don't use through-hole resistors at work anymore. All surface mount except for some of the large power resistors.

Ed

Well the VFD is working with the included keypad but not remotely. This is perplexing since it worked remotely just fine prior to tearing down the mill for the head rebuild. Somehow it lost some of the settings also which doesn't make any sense. All of the voltages check out just fine on the inputs when I press the various switches and the analog input voltage from the remote potentiometer various as it should when I turn it. I'm pretty sure it's one of the numerous settings that needs to be tweaked to get it working remotely again. Time to go through the manual page by page and check all of the settings. Yuk!

I guess I'll just pop open a bottle of wine to sip on while I peruse the manual.

Ed

Gotr' done! Stupid programming mistake by me.

Now I have to install the spindle and the mill will finally be back together and useful tool again. Smiley-dancenana

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - dallen - 09-08-2012

(09-08-2012, 06:48 PM)EdK Wrote: Gotr' done! Stupid programming mistake by me.

Now I have to install the spindle and the mill will finally be back together and useful tool again. Smiley-dancenana

Ed

one of those error codes that Allen Bradley used to label as F-11 Operator Error glad you got it working parameter settings can be a bear at times. See if you can store em in the HIM

have had a few of em myself in years past