MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 09-08-2012

(09-08-2012, 09:27 PM)dallen Wrote: One of those error codes that Allen Bradley used to label as F-11 Operator Error. Glad you got it working. Parameter settings can be a bear at times. See if you can store em in the HIM

Have had a few of em myself in years past.

dallen,

What is HIM?

Thanks,
Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - DaveH - 09-09-2012

(09-08-2012, 06:48 PM)EdK Wrote: Now I have to install the spindle and the mill will finally be back together and useful tool again. Smiley-dancenana
Ed
Smiley-dancenana Smiley-dancenana Smiley-dancenana Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - dallen - 09-09-2012

(09-08-2012, 09:32 PM)EdK Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 09:27 PM)dallen Wrote: One of those error codes that Allen Bradley used to label as F-11 Operator Error. Glad you got it working. Parameter settings can be a bear at times. See if you can store em in the HIM

Have had a few of em myself in years past.

dallen,

What is HIM?

Thanks,
Ed

Human Interface Module or the remote that is stuck in the front of some VFD's most of them will have an Eeprom in them that you can store the Param Settings in so if you have to switch out the unit or are installing a bunch of them like I used to have to deal with on an Asphalt Plant all you have to do is restore the settings, instead of hand program the things

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - EdK - 09-15-2012

I got the spindle all back together and ready to install in the mill. I had to get a little creative in "pressing" the lower taper roller bearing onto the spindle since I don't have a press.

[attachment=2957]

[attachment=2958]

Looking at the two pads that are supposed to press against the column to lock it in place, it appears they are both only touching at the very edge. Another project to add to the list of things to fix.

[attachment=2959]

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - stevec - 09-15-2012

Ed, are you thinking of making new ones and cutting the same radius as the quill instead of the flat? Ive seen old drill presses that started having small contact points like those, in time the quill became pretty dug up.

(09-15-2012, 12:14 PM)stevec Wrote: Ed, are you thinking of making new ones and cutting the same radius as the quill instead of the flat? Ive seen old drill presses that started having small contact points like those, in time the quill became pretty dug up.

Steve,

I'm thinking of using the existing pieces and modifying the ends to more closely match the quill. I wonder if it would be better to make some new ones out of brass. 17428

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Highpower - 09-15-2012

Ed, I just touched mine up in the mill, but they were already made from brass. If yours are steel, I would definitely recommend making the switch to brass. Smiley-gen163

[Image: th_P8040085.jpg]

p.s.

NICE job on the bearing press. Applaud

Willie,

Mine are steel. Almost look like cast iron. I'll make some new ones out of brass. Did you use the 5C spin indexer just as a holding device and not for indexing purposes?

Ed

The mill is finally back together and seems to be functioning well, other than the spindle turning in the wrong direction. An easy fix though. I still need to run it through the break in tests for all of the gears to help the new bearings seat.

Ed

[attachment=2967]

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Highpower - 09-15-2012

(09-15-2012, 02:58 PM)EdK Wrote: Willie,

Did you use the 5C spin indexer just as a holding device and not for indexing purposes?

Ed

Both actually. I could have used a collet block or a v-block, but since I was re-cutting the original parts it was just easier to put it in the spin-index and turn them until the flats were vertical.

Your installation and layout looks great. Smiley-signs107

After it's broken in you'll have to give us a before and after comparison of how she performs. Smiley-eatdrink004