MetalworkingFun Forum
Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco (/thread-157.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 03-23-2012

Tried that. Not enough of a lip to grab on to on the race and nothing for the center screw to push against. Sadno

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - DaveH - 03-23-2012

Ed,

Huh, Slaphead in that case a long bar and tap it out from the other end.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

There is nothing for the bar to catch on. There are no exposed edges on the race for anything to catch on to. It appears to be designed for insertion only. No replacements allowed. Smiley-signs131

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - ETC57 - 03-23-2012

Ed,

If there is no place to push or pull on the top of that race, then I would suggest using a dremel tool with a cut off disk. Score it in two or three places about 2/3 through then give it a rap on the edge of the race at the score with a small chisel. It will split at the score.

I have removed many a froze up wheel bearing that way.

Jerry.Popcorn

Ed,

Well in that case you are on your own mate Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Just kidding Ed. There must be some way to get it out, the Chinese just make them, they didn't design it.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - PixMan - 03-23-2012

That's one of the very few places where I'd use a Dremel and a cutoff saw. Start grinding in your own slots for tapping it out, and if that fails, cut them out.

That's my back up plan, use a Dremel with a cut-off disk.

I finally got that snap ring out, what a difference a quality tool makes. Big Grin
So I was able to knock out the last shaft that was still in the head. To my surprise there was a bearing attached to it that I couldn't see because the large gear was blocking it. So now I'll be short one of the 6007 bearings. Oh well, I still have to order the tapered roller bearings yet anyway.

Anybody know a good place to get P/6 tapered roller bearings? I've been searching most of the afternoon with no luck. I found some P/5s but don't want to spend that kind of money since it's overkill for this mill.

Ed

[attachment=376]

Ed,
I changed the bearing on my RF 31, the spindles are probably the same, I don't remember having a problem getting the outer race out.

If there had been a problem I would remember something, problems tend to be remembered.

I'm sure there were a couple of groves to give me access to tap the outer race out.

Although that doesn't help you much

Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave

(03-23-2012, 06:15 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
I changed the bearing on my RF 31, the spindles are probably the same, I don't remember having a problem getting the outer race out.

If there had been a problem I would remember something, problems tend to be remembered.

I'm sure there were a couple of groves to give me access to tap the outer race out.

Although that doesn't help you much

Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave

Actually Dave, it did help. It motivated me to go and see if there were any groves and there were not. But then I decided to look underneath the round rubber gasket the cushions the quill from the mill head and underneath the gasket I found three holes that appear to be for inserting a pin punch to tap out the race. I may be in luck after all. Smile

Ed

RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - EdK - 03-30-2012

Anybody know of an online bearing supplier that would have ABEC 3 or P6 or class 6, whatever you want to call it, tapered roller bearings? I've been looking for days with no results. Surely there has to be a bearing store that can source the size bearings I need for the mill.

Smiley-signs028

Ed