MetalworkingFun Forum
worked on the burner today - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Welding & Casting (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: worked on the burner today (/thread-1672.html)

Pages: 1 2

worked on the burner today - dallen - 08-29-2013

I test fired my burner today to make sure that I could get oil to the nozzle. here's the results sorry about the noise, I like to annoy the neighbors.

DA

RE: worked on the burner today - oldgoaly - 08-29-2013

Good idea on the variac and control box! Delevan siphon nozzle a waste oil furnace part? Wonder how they differ from a regular oil burner nozzle with the filter removed? Have you thought about a heat scavenger? your input air gets preheated, according to the old books this is like a super charger. Had one figured for the cupola that is 1/2 done. Although if your near a 100 degrees and dry probably not a problem, it's for those cool spring or fall days that is when you can find me casting (not going to do it when it's too hot or too cold)

RE: worked on the burner today - doubleboost - 08-29-2013

(08-29-2013, 05:28 PM)dallen Wrote: I test fired my burner today to make sure that I could get oil to the nozzle. here's the results sorry about the noise, I like to annoy the neighbors.

DA

Nice clean burn
It looked a bit on the warm side YikesYikesYikesYikesYikes
John

RE: worked on the burner today - dallen - 08-29-2013

it was a little on the warm side I think I may of melted the wall where the flame impinges on it some more today.

here's a shot of where I got the sand from this morning that I mentioned in the video

[Image: natural-cand.jpg]

RE: worked on the burner today - Rickabilly - 08-30-2013

Heat scavengers are critical for anyone that is at all concerned with fuel efficiency, without a scavenger you just throw away loads of heat. Blast furnaces just don't work without similar items called the "stoves" the "blast air" sits in the stoves pre-heating in readyness for "blast" cold air just kills a furnace.

Regards
Rick

RE: worked on the burner today - dallen - 08-30-2013

where can I get a fan at that will take the exhaust temp gas for under 80 dollars

RE: worked on the burner today - Rickabilly - 08-31-2013

The trick is never pump the hot air David, You pump cold air through the reclaimer and then straight into the burners/tuyeres, I posted elsewhere on our forum just yesterday on a basic form of Blast furnace stove style reclaimer, I can pretty much guarantee that you could build the whole caboodle for less than $80 using all the fans and burners that you already have and just make the two reclaimers and switching valve.

I can't remember the thread name but as soon as I post this I'll go find it and report back, and of course I'll set you up with a schematic for the system and help with the design if you really want to build one, as I said in the other post it's a system that is used on pretty much all blast furnaces so must work.

Rick

RE: worked on the burner today - Rickabilly - 08-31-2013

Here tis,
MetalworkingFun Forum » Metalworking » Welding & Casting » [IDEA] Heat scavanger / preheating blast air
Best regards
Rick

Edit - I added in a hyperlink [Mayhem]

RE: worked on the burner today - dallen - 09-01-2013

I'll stick with what I have, I've watched a lot of thread where people try to stick a heat reclaimer/ preheater on a hobby furnace and they all die sooner or later. not saying it won't work just too much trouble for something the size of my furnace, and that much more that I would have to drag out of the shed and too put back.

now if I had a cupola with say a 12 to 14 inch bore, there might be a reason for doing it, but its still a lot of work for a little gain on a crucible furnace in my eyes, and unlike California I don't have to worry about burning flue gasses or do constant stack monitoring (good thing on that as I don't have a stack)

DA

RE: worked on the burner today - Rickabilly - 09-01-2013

I completely understand, You have to need it for it to be worth the extra effort

When I get around to building mine the intention is to build it into the one unit, with my back, lifting furnaces, flasks, blowers and fuel is a no-go, so it will be a unit, a factory just like the steelworks foundry but in 2 square metres not 20,000 and all on wheels so if it's a good weather day I'll roll the whole thing out of storage, mould , heat, cast and demould all on the 2 square metres, all possible from a wheelchair. Because I never know when I'll be back in one, so for ease of fuelling I need to use propane and to get the heat to melt iron I'll need heat scavenging and that's about it.
I know it can be done and if it can't then it's a bad idea for me to get back into casting.

Regards
Rick