MetalworkingFun Forum
Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: How-To's (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe (/thread-1682.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - TomG - 09-02-2013

After making "Thread cutting on the Lathe, Part Four", there was some whining about how anyone can cut nice threads on a Hardinge, and what about us Atlas guys? Well, as I said in the video, the process of cutting a thread is pretty much the same on any lathe, and to prove the point, I packed up the camera and headed over to my Dad's house to cut a mating 1-12UNF 3B thread on his Atlas lathe. I have to say that I was sweating a bit since I haven't used an Atlas in over 30 years, and never cut threads with change gears, Yikes but it turned out alright and I actually learned a few things. Like I don't want an Atlas in my shop. Big Grin

Anyway, here is the result, with the second part to follow shortly.

Tom

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - Micktoon - 09-02-2013

Dam them batteries Tom Bash, I was just getting into that Rotfl still its something to look forward to, I hope you will get a chance to make the video while I am asleep 6799.

Cheers Mick

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - stevec - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 05:21 PM)TomG Wrote: I actually learned a few things. Like I don't want an Atlas in my shop. Big Grin

I hear ya Tom but the Atlas 10x36 flatbed with no QC box was my first lathe at age 17 and that's how the following 50 years got started.

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - Mayhem - 09-03-2013

You're welcome to come cut one on mine Tom Big Grin

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - TomG - 09-03-2013

I would actually love to Darren...maybe some day.

Tom

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - dallen - 09-03-2013

my question is why pull the bit into the trailing face and not into the leading when making cutting depth adjustments??

(09-03-2013, 08:18 AM)dallen Wrote: my question is why pull the bit into the trailing face and not into the leading when making cutting depth adjustments??

David,

The reason I did it that way is because the Atlas isn't rigid enough to swing the compound to the left and extend the bar, and you can't swing it to the right and cut the thread on the backside of the bore because the chuck would unscrew, and I don't like trying to read the compound dial with it swung to the right rear. The set-up I used worked fine and produced a perfect thread, but is technically incorrect, so rather than take the grief on YouTube, I elected to re-shoot the video with the compound to the right rear. The first of two additional parts is uploading now and the second will follow shortly.

Tom

Ok, I think all the bugs are worked out. Here's part two, Setting Up the Tool.

Tom

Here's part three and I'm going to bed. It's probably still uploading, but should be available soon.

This video has driven me to drink (not that I need an excuse)5176

Tom

RE: Cutting an Internal Thread on the Atlas Lathe - oldgoaly - 09-03-2013

Tom
If you run out excuses the members of the forum will be happy to help making up new ones! The Brits have centuries of experience and the Aussie's are world renown for drinking and excuses! Smiley-eatdrink004
Thumbsup