MetalworkingFun Forum
MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Welding & Casting (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. (/thread-179.html)

MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - aametalmaster - 03-24-2012

You guys know how hard it is sometime to weld an old junky exhaust manifold? I have done hundreds of them over the last 34 years most of them stick with Ni rod and some brazed. Some worked well some didn't. So move ahead 30 years i picked up some Crown Alloys .035 44-30 mig wire for cast iron. Its used with Argon and works great. This manifold on my Geo Metro had a crack and it has been hissing for 4 months or so. I drove the car around to warm it up since i wasn't planning to remove it and hit the crack with a die grinder and a stone. Then i dabbed the mig wire in the clean area and triggered it right up the crack. It took about 30 seconds and sealed the crack right up. I let the car run for a few minutes and then let it cool. So far so good. The 2# spool is 75 bucks and i wanted to try it out for a test.
UPDATE since i welded this. The car now has 4,000 miles on this fix and its still perfect...Bob

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet/CAST_IRON_ROYAL_44-30_w_New_Warning.pdf

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - DaveH - 04-21-2012

Bob,
Well that seems to have worked Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - ScrapMetal - 04-21-2012

That's good to know. I've got an old franklin stove with a cast iron skirt that was broken up before I was born. It's on my list for a future restore.

-Ron

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - aametalmaster - 04-21-2012

The repaired part is still perfect. I have been welding cast iron for at least 34 years and wish this wire had been out sooner it sure would have made some jobs easier. I have a few parts that need built up and polished off...Bob

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - DaveH - 04-21-2012

Bob,

You say you used Argon is that 100% argon
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - aametalmaster - 04-21-2012

(04-21-2012, 07:50 PM)DaveH Wrote: Bob,

You say you used Argon is that 100% argon
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
From Crown Alloys tech sheet:
Shielding gas should
be Argon or CO2 or a 75% Argon/25% CO2.
I used Argon but i see any welding gas can be used...Bob

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - Highpower - 04-22-2012

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=416]

Now that's how you know somebody does a LOT of welding.....
A quick install, pre-tensioned small spool adapter!

My hat's off to you Bob. That is a really slick idea, and I'll bet it is quite a time saver. Smiley-signs021

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - stevec - 04-22-2012

Bob, is that stuff available in flux cored wire? Although my welder can use shielding gas I'd rather not have to buy a cylinder as well as the wire just for a cast iron welding experiment on my broken shaper (don't ask how it got broken).

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - aametalmaster - 04-22-2012

(04-22-2012, 08:33 AM)stevec Wrote: Bob, is that stuff available in flux cored wire? Although my welder can use shielding gas I'd rather not have to buy a cylinder as well as the wire just for a cast iron welding experiment on my broken shaper (don't ask how it got broken).

No the wire needs the gas, sorry...Bob

RE: MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. - aametalmaster - 04-22-2012

(04-22-2012, 05:11 AM)Highpower Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=416]

Now that's how you know somebody does a LOT of welding.....
A quick install, pre-tensioned small spool adapter!

My hat's off to you Bob. That is a really slick idea, and I'll bet it is quite a time saver. Smiley-signs021

Thanks. I dreamed up a few of those and just have them on the shelf in a plastic bag...Bob