MetalworkingFun Forum
still making parts for the shaper - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Welding & Casting (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: still making parts for the shaper (/thread-1854.html)

Pages: 1 2

still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-17-2013

here's a shot of a part that i made today to replace the one that I have on the shaper now, I don't like the way that one looks.

[Image: fourth-ratchet-pattern0002.jpg]

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-18-2013

I got around today and rammed this pattern up again and tried out my new heating element that I had installed in the fuel tank, it works great, heated the fuel up with out any problems, and then I shut it off and the tank stayed hot thru the entire melt, so I'm pretty happy about that.

could of used a little more iron in the pot but we made the pour, here's the picks

[Image: fourth-ratchet-pattern0004.jpg]
[Image: fourth-ratchet-pattern0003.jpg]

and from the file test that I preformed on the casting its going to be machinable iron.
I'll put the video up soon as I edit it. right now I gotta go check on lunch its in the furnace getting hot.
DA

RE: still making parts for the shaper - EdK - 11-18-2013

Quote:... right now I gotta go check on lunch its in the furnace getting hot.
DA

Rotfl

How was it?

Ed

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-18-2013

(11-18-2013, 04:52 PM)EdK Wrote:
Quote:... right now I gotta go check on lunch its in the furnace getting hot.
DA

Rotfl

How was it?

Ed

lunch was great, the part was even better once I got it on the mill and did some cutting on it without it being hard as my ex's heart.

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-19-2013

have the gear side faced off and the bore at 1.050 which if I measured it right should fit the shaft. now on to the mill to do the other side.

still a couple of spots left from the surface imperfections. they will be hid or hopefully machined off before I finish.

[Image: bore-at-1051.jpg]

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-19-2013

got a little more done on it today.

[Image: did-somemore-cutting-on-it.jpg]

RE: still making parts for the shaper - EdK - 11-20-2013

(11-19-2013, 10:07 AM)dallen Wrote: have the gear side faced off and the bore at 1.050 which if I measured it right should fit the shaft. now on to the mill to do the other side.

still a couple of spots left from the surface imperfections. they will be hid or hopefully machined off before I finish.

[Image: bore-at-1051.jpg]

Very interesting chatter pattern you got there Dave.

Ed

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-20-2013

I know it varies with the material being turned. Its caused by the lathe being worn out and me not having the funds to fix it or have it fixed.

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-20-2013

Hit a hard spot while trying to put in the pin hole. So I've decided to instead of trying to finish this one and maybe tear up a bunch of cutters and such, to cast another one and start over. But it the weather stays nasty I may just give it a couple hours in the kiln at about 1600 one way to warm up the family room and see if it's character will soften a bit.

here's a picture I circled 1. the hole that has hard spots in it, and 2. where I have trimmed the pattern down a 1/4 of and inch to get rid of excess that doesn't need to be on the part.

[Image: hole-in-question.jpg]

Think I got it straightened out, anyway I used a boring head and bar and was able to open it up to the measurements I need for the pin and brass retainer that I still have to make.

[Image: pin-hole-bored.jpg]

RE: still making parts for the shaper - dallen - 11-24-2013

I'm about finished with this part, it has a couple of things that I don't like, so who knows I have plenty of time so I may just make another one, I've already cut the excess off the one part of the pattern that I don't care for.

anyway here's the picture of it almost ready to put on the shaper.
[Image: almost-finished.jpg]