MetalworkingFun Forum
Dual flight controls for simulator - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Dual flight controls for simulator (/thread-2017.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Shawn - 02-18-2014

Thanks Numbers, I was just going to suggest that. Airplane parts won't make it through customs though so best not to mention what they are. Let me know Pixman, I will pick up the shipping costs, doesn't seem fair otherwise.

Thanks
Shawn

I got the rear support plate cut today, built a new pivot for the right side and made the bracket that will hold the pitch damper in place.

[Image: xuep.jpg]

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Highpower - 02-18-2014

I see your crew chief has come by to inspect your work. Big Grin

She is primarily tasked with quality control. She really isn't happy with the rod ends used to connect both sticks, far too much slop for her liking. Now I need to find some proper ball joints.

You can almost see the look of disgust on her face here...

[Image: xnx2.jpg]

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Highpower - 02-18-2014

(02-18-2014, 02:48 PM)Shawn Wrote: You can almost see the look of disgust on her face here...

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

So yesterday I noticed that during rapid roll movements the spherical rod end were moving on the bolt I used to hold them. There was .050 difference in the bolt diameter and the hole in the rod end. Tightening them helped a bit but wasn't the solution. I went to town to look for some cheap ball joints with a stud but all the cheap ones had the same runout. So I decided to give something a try and it worked like a charm. I turned down a steel rod to .080 oversized and pressed it into the hole of the rod end. The force of the pin expanded the steel ball to a snug fit with the brass sleeve, no measurable slack. Only took me three tries  Big Grin .010 oversized bent the pin before I could force it in and .050 was a nice fit but didn't effect the total runout. Saved me a few buck and was a good exercise in turning to a precise diameter.

[Image: dlj2.jpg]

Shawn

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Old Iron - 02-18-2014

Looking good shawn, Is that same one you were working on before?

Paul

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Shawn - 02-19-2014

Thanks Paul, I'm calling the previous version a test run. To be honest I just finally decided to build a full cockpit complete with dual controls. I'm more interested in designing and building the controls so it will probably end up being a bit of a skeleton cockpit. When I do actually fly in the simulator it tends to be helicopters and the occasional small fixed wing so each side of the cockpit will reflect one or the other. I keep looking at the old camelback drill press and the box that the counter shaft assembly is stored in. The one good thing about a project getting put off is my skillset is improving so when I get around to it I have a better chance of doing the job right. Anytime someone is in my shop they comment on the drill press and find it hard to believe I got the missing parts from Andalusia, Alabama for the price of shipping.

Shawn

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - Shawn - 04-25-2014

Here is my first attempt at a backlit panel for my simulator. The engraving isn't quite what I was hoping for but not bad for a milling machine I think.

[Image: o6UPIaTl.jpg]

Shawn

RE: Dual flight controls for simulator - DaveH - 04-25-2014

Smart Thumbsup
I was thinking that is not how EXIT is spelt, then my thinking progressed albeit slowly Fire Exit on a plane??? then the penny dropped Ext short for Extinguisher Smiley-dancenana Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH