MetalworkingFun Forum
32x40 H Gas Engine - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: 32x40 H Gas Engine (/thread-2056.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - DaveH - 02-13-2015

Hi Brian,
Really looking splendid Thumbsup  I meant to ask before did you make the oilers? 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 02-13-2015

Hi Dave the oilers came from RGD tools. they where just to tempting not to use. I am also buying the ignition controller and coil, electronics is not my strong point to say the least.
I take full blame for the rest. at the moment I am going to try running without piston rings just the piston lapped into the bore.
Just to see how good I got the fit??? If not it was designed to take rings from a weed cutter.
Brian.

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 02-24-2015

We have had a little rain in the last three days roads washed away retaining walls collapsing bridges closed ETC. so workshop time has been limited.
[attachment=10137]

This has been the view from the window for most of the time.

How ever I have managed to get the water outlet and the exhaust stub finished.
 I am getting down the list gradually. 
Had to make a new cam shaft because I got the overlap to wide, it's  OK now.
the parts came for the gas demand valve, but the Techumseh needle valve kit was missing a sealing washer that has to be a particular thickness. so that is going to hold things up a bit 

So this is what it looks like at the moment --- Note it's on my desk not in the shop.
I have ordered one of the small cube  video cameras for use on the boat so I am hoping to be able to video it running
If I can find out how to use the camera E T C .
[attachment=10138]

[attachment=10139]

Plodding on  Brian. Smiley-dancenana

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 02-25-2015

No shop time today , spent the day catching up on the drawings. luckily the ignition components arrived in the post so I did the lay out drawing for the ignition quadrant. that I hope to make tomorrow. if the weather is warm enough?

By the way this Q Cad I am using is the bizz,
 I am a block head when it comes to computers, but this program is available  for free ??  if you wish you can get the instruction book, that really takes you thro step by step. then I finally got the Pro version for very little cash. 

I have tried others but simply got lost in all the garbage. buy the way they do a CAM add onto produce machine code (( What ever that is ))  I do not endorse things normally but this is really GOOD . Don't be put off by the site It's not easy to navigate but the effort is worth it.
[attachment=10142]

Brian. Smiley-dancenana  

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 02-26-2015

The magnetic pickup is fitted, and the mounting quadrant is made to advance and retard eventually it will be operated by a lever
at the rear of the engine with the throttle.

[attachment=10143]

Brian Smiley-dancenana

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - EdK - 02-26-2015

It looks like you're getting close to the end Brian. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 02-28-2015

Hi Ed and all  I am waiting on the delivery of a UNF tap so I can finish the gas demand valve, mean while I am going over the engine looking for things that require tweaking and trying to set up a thermo syphon cooling tower. later I will build a proper radiator, a cover for the crank to stop splashes is also on the cards, but cam wait until the test runs a over.
I am going to try to run without rings because the piston was lapped to the bore Just to see if it is possible on a engine of this size,
Small CI engines  run without rings so we will see if it works
Also I am waiting for a small video camera from E Bay, to record the event , so no rush it will happen when all is in place.

Brian. Smiley-dancenana

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - DaveH - 02-28-2015

Getting close Smiley-dancenana 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - Brian - 03-04-2015

A/ R leaver in place  and the post arrived with the tap for the demand valve, so it's all systems go will try to finish the demand valve tomorrow. still waiting for the camera???

[attachment=10176]

Brian. Smiley-dancenana

RE: 32x40 H Gas Engine - DaveH - 03-04-2015

Really nice Brian Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH