MetalworkingFun Forum
Carriage Drilling Adapter - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Lathes (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-11.html)
+---- Forum: Lathe Tooling (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-19.html)
+---- Thread: Carriage Drilling Adapter (/thread-2070.html)

Carriage Drilling Adapter - Hawkeye - 03-31-2014

A friend of mine made one of these a few months ago. I thought he meant something you attach to the carriage so you could drill sideways through the work held in the headstock. Turns out, it is intended to hold a chuck or tapered-shank drill bit on the carriage so you can drill longitudinally into the work spinning on the headstock. Confused yet?

I started with a block of steel 3" x 2 1/2" x 2" and notched it to mount in the four-way toolpost. Then I drilled and bored it to hold an R8-to-MT3 adapter I had on hand.
[attachment=8036]
[attachment=8037]
[attachment=8038]

Two comments at this point. First, if you don't have a boring head, consider getting one. Normally used on a mill, they can be useful on a lathe. Second, if you are boring into a piece on the carriage, or using the drilling adapter, you will need a crossfeed lock. If you don't already have one, add one. It can be as simple as replacing one gib screw with a setscrew that can easily be tightened and loosened.
[attachment=8039]

Once the block was bored to a snug slip fit for the MT3 adapter, it was drilled and tapped to take two 3/8" SHCSs. Then on to the horizontal mill to slit in to the bored hole.
[attachment=8040]

The drilling adapter is used as shown to hold a tapered-shank bit ...
[attachment=8041]

Or a chuck - anything on an MT3 shank, including the boring head.
[attachment=8042]

Now, if you're wondering why bother, when I'm drilling a really deep hole through stock held in the spindle, it takes a lot of cranking to move the bit in and out of the work to clear chips and add oil. The crank on the carriage is a lot faster, plus, I can now use power feed when it's appropriate.

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - PixMan - 03-31-2014

A great idea for those with indexing tool posts of that type.

No need for someone like me who has a sturdy QCTP and several different size No.4 style (straight hole) boring bar holders. There's also a Morse Taper holder available, though I can't justify the expense. For the rare times I need to use taper shank drills, I just revert to using the tailstock.

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - Micktoon - 04-01-2014

Hi Mike, A good idea and very well posted too, I havea quick change tool post but its only got a MT1 holder of this type a bigger one would be handy now you have pointed out the advantage of how the carriage is easier to use than the tailstock for deep holes etc..
Cheers Mick

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - Hawkeye - 04-01-2014

The main reason I used the four-way instead of the QCTP is that this way I only have to true up the crossfeed to centre the tool. It will always be true vertically.

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - the penguin - 04-05-2014

(03-31-2014, 08:42 PM)PixMan Wrote: A great idea for those with indexing tool posts of that type.

No need for someone like me who has a sturdy QCTP and several different size No.4 style (straight hole) boring bar holders. There's also a Morse Taper holder available, though I can't justify the expense. For the rare times I need to use taper shank drills, I just revert to using the tailstock.

I have AXA blocks, with MT#2 and MT#3 tapers, they work okay, but I'd rather use the tailstock

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - PixMan - 04-05-2014

Likewise, Jack.

I find that once you get much beyond a certain size drill (about 1" in my case), the straight-on orientation of the tailstock mass behind the tool seems much more effective.

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - f350ca - 04-05-2014

Looking good Mike. Like you said would be great for deep pilot holes, save a lot of cranking.

RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - Mayhem - 04-05-2014

I can see this being really useful for some of the smaller lathes where the tailstock has minimal capacity in terms of drilling depth. This is one issue I face when using my friend's lathe, and I frequently have to reposition the tailstock to drill deeper.

Less useful on my lathe, where I have sufficient capacity