MetalworkingFun Forum
this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: How-To's (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I (/thread-2073.html)

Pages: 1 2

this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - dallen - 04-03-2014

I want to turn the ends of these two hardened linear rails down and thread them so that I can put collored bushings on them so as to lock them in place in the plates you see in the photo.

hints, tips, or tricks all are welcome.

DA

[attachment=8078]

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - stevec - 04-03-2014

DA, I'm not sure I know what "collored bushings" are but I wouldn't try to turn down "hardened linear rails" nor "thread them".
Could you not just grind a flat for setscrews in the tapped holes in the brackets?

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - dallen - 04-03-2014

(04-03-2014, 12:16 PM)stevec Wrote: DA, I'm not sure I know what "collored bushings" are but I wouldn't try to turn down "hardened linear rails" nor "thread them".
Could you not just grind a flat for setscrews in the tapped holes in the brackets?

bushing with a flanged on one end,

Problem with set screws is that the plates are only a half inch thick , and theres no reason that they can't be turned when the ball screws are just as hard and one of them I'm going to have to shorten and turn a place for a bearing on the end of it.

(04-03-2014, 12:45 PM)dallen Wrote: bushing with a flanged on one end,
Bushing? Do you mean collar with a flange on one end?

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - EdK - 04-03-2014

(04-03-2014, 01:25 PM)stevec Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 12:45 PM)dallen Wrote: bushing with a flanged on one end,
Bushing? Do you mean collar with a flange on one end?

One of these flanged bushings Steve.

Ed

[attachment=8086]

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - DaveH - 04-03-2014

David,
Are they case hardened or thro' hardened?
If they are case hardened heating it to 700 C and allowing it to cool in air will soften it enough to turn it with normal inserts. It may still be hard.
Obvisouly using heat can cause some distortion and the heat needs to be localized - wet cloths with plenty of water will help.

If the idea of heat doesn't appeal cubic boron nitrite inserts (CBN) can be used, but CBN inserts can be expensive and the set up must be very rigid.
Once through the case hardened skin, the bar will be softer to do the threading, still will be harder than normal steel.

If it is thro' hardened without any form of heat treatment I think the only way would be to use CBN inserts.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

(04-03-2014, 04:06 PM)EdK Wrote: One of these flanged bushings Steve.
Ed
Ed, I somehow doubt DA needs "bushings", I think the hardened shafts
in his pic. are the ones on which the linear bearings run and I believe they are to be fixed in the end/side brackets.

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - dallen - 04-03-2014

Yep Ed you got it, that style of a steel bushing

Steve, I don't want to use just a set screw to secure the rail on the end plate as they are only a half inch thick.

DaveH, the rails are fully hardened thanks on the info of using CBN inserts.

DA

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - stevec - 04-04-2014

OK DA, I give.
I'll look for the pics when you're done. Chin

RE: this isn't a how to but more of a how do I - PixMan - 04-06-2014

David,

I'll try and get the CBN insert I have into the mail to you tomorrow, along with a very hard carbide one. Threading tool I recommend for your lay-down holder (I think you have one) would be an Iscar 16ER-AG60 grade IC907, or a Kennametal 16ER-AG60 grade KC5010. Those are both very hard grades suitable for you application. If on the off chance I have one of them in my collection, I'll send it to you.

Ken