MetalworkingFun Forum
Log Splitter - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Log Splitter (/thread-2109.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Log Splitter - f350ca - 01-18-2015

Thats somewhat like mine Dave. The leading edge is slightly longer and more slender on mine, thats where the wood gets stuck.
If you go with that design, extend the centre part through to the back, weld it to the beam first then add the wings. More surface to weld.

RE: Log Splitter - stevec - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 10:39 AM)f350ca Wrote: The leading edge is slightly longer and more slender on mine, thats where the wood gets stuck.

Greg, I'm not sure I understand that.   "longer and more slender on mine, thats where the wood gets stuck. ".
Does it get stuck at the "flare out" to the wider angle.
I don't ever remember seeing a splitting axe being advertised with a wide continuance to the initial wedge.
I could be wrong (slap! no, not  possible!)

RE: Log Splitter - f350ca - 01-19-2015

We're never wrong Steve just misunderstood.
Not a great picture (sure was shiny back then). You can see the thin cutting edge protruding about an inch ahead of where the wedge spreads out. That will cut into the wood easily, if the block doesn't start to split at that point she's stuck. Sometimes really stuck. But I'm only using a single stage pump with the relief set at 1800psi and a 3 1/2 inch cylinder, about 8 1/2 ton force.
[Image: 107-0705_IMG.jpg]

RE: Log Splitter - DaveH - 01-19-2015

Nice log splitter Greg Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Just to help this is what the wedge will look like.
Although it will look like it has been in a war when I finish welding it Big Grin 

[attachment=9897]

The grey part is the primary wedge 30 deg inc
The red 'wings' provide the secondary wedge 50 deg inc
The blue part is the back plate and is further welded to the I beam (not shown)
Also some 'strengtheners' between the grey part and the red parts (not shown)
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

I have the same problem what Greg has when splitting logs, especially if the logs are wet the first part of the wedge goes in deep but the log does not split. Obviously if one uses enough force it may not split the log but it will be 'sliced' in two Big Grin In my case I am going to allow the logs to dry out.

Nevertheless it does seem a good design to help split the logs with an increase in the angle of the wedge, on commercial ones  the wedge is curved.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=9889]

Now they must have a good reason for doing it and the nice thing about the curve the angle of the wedge increases  the further the log is pushed on.
May be I should look at a curved wedge.
At the moment I'm not sure what angles to use on the primary and secondary wedge angles. 17428

[attachment=9898]

Maybe I'm looking too deep .............. it's a log splitter Slaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Log Splitter - stevec - 01-20-2015

"I have the same problem what Greg has when splitting logs, especially if the logs are wet the first part of the wedge goes in deep but the log does not split."

That's one of the reasons I didn't "flare" my wedge. All logs get split wet, dry, hot, cold, old or young.
Another reason is if my logs split sooner in the stroke I'd have a harder time controlling them, a potential for injury (like pieces falling on my feet.)
My splitter has a tray just beyond the wedge that allows my to control them for further splitting if required or place them in the wheel barrow for transfer to the stacking operation.

My wedge is pinned in a "socket" in the beam and can be removed and replaced with a "cross" wedge or even 6 way "star" although I have not made any yet, it may come about once I get/build a conveyor to replace the wheel barrow.

I'd post a pic of my "removable" wedge but I don't know how to make it an "URL" to post it. 17428

Steve
Smiley-eatdrink004  

[img]http:://www.metalworkingfun.com/C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2015-01-20\P1200001[/img]

RE: Log Splitter - DaveH - 01-20-2015

Having fun Steve Rotfl  Rotfl   Rotfl 
Hope so 'cause this is what this forum is about FUN Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Steve if the URL is your computer I don't think you will able to place the image on here.

Just save the image as a   .jpg  on your computer and then post it here.

Use the Attachment  part in the post reply screen.

Click Browse button find your image in the opened box click it then click the open button. Then click Add Attachment ........... wait for it to up load then click Insert in to post.  In you posy you will see [attachment = 1234] You can delete in your post and place somewhere else if it is in the wrong place by deleting and click Insert in to post . Delete it in your post do not use remove.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

(01-20-2015, 09:07 AM)stevec Wrote: That's one of the reasons I didn't "flare" my wedge. All logs get split wet, dry, hot, cold, old or young.
Steve
Smiley-eatdrink004  
Steve,
Mine and Greg's are low force under 10 tons log splitters, I think once you get to 20 tons the flared wedge isn't needed. (I think maybe 17428 )
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH