MetalworkingFun Forum
Log Splitter - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Log Splitter (/thread-2109.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Log Splitter - vtsteam - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 12:34 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 12:04 PM)vtsteam Wrote: The "ways" are an I beam with another slightly narrower plate (probably cold rolled) lapped on top and intermittent welded.
Hi Vt, any idea why that was done?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Well it's similar to my Gingery and Atlas lathe ways -- square plate style, not dovetail. But they both have a single plate/slab, unlike the splitter's lamination.

I'm guessing that the splitter I beam top was judged too thin (or rough, or both) so they lapped additional thickness with a plate on top. If cold rolled it would be smooth for sliding without milling scale off.

Since the carriage has a gib style side sliding surface, they couldn't weld the the beam and lapped plate edges together because it wouldn't slide. so by making the top plate narrower, they could weld its edges to the I beam, while keeping the I beam's edge square for the slide.

RE: Log Splitter - DaveH - 02-06-2015

Yep, that makes sense.
I see the two 'set' screws to adjust the jib - nice idea Thumbsup 
I also like the two flat bars (one on either side) to catch the split log. I'm going to look at doing something to catch the logs. Two wheel barrows are looking good Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Grabbed a pic -- worth 1000 words, as they say.....

Nice pic Vt, I can see how the arms to the split log catcher is fixed Thumbsup 

Very nice log splitter I have to say - how long have you had it?
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

The side bars are handy, but dangerous, too. It was pretty obvious not to get your hand anywhere near the wedge or back plate when splitting. But not so obvious when backing out of a split getting a finger caught between the side bar and back of a stuck log.

This splitter has a hold and automatic kick-out return. So you can let go of the lever when backing the wedge home. Luckily, I was holding the control lever so could flip it off when backing out when I felt the pressure on my pinky....... before it was removed.

That was during the first week of getting familiar with this particular splitter. Had a nice throbbing buise for a few days for a reminder, that backing and sideplates weren't to be ignored.

Dave, I've hadthe splitter for 4 years, now.

(02-06-2015, 01:17 PM)vtsteam Wrote: The side bars are handy, but dangerous, too. It was pretty obvious not to get your hand anywhere near the wedge or back plate when splitting. But not so obvious when backing out of a split getting a finger caught between the side bar and back of a stuck log.

This splitter has a hold and automatic kick-out return. So you can let go of the lever when backing the wedge home. Luckily, I was holding the control lever so could flip it off when backing out when I felt the pressure on my pinky....... before it was removed.

That was during the first week of getting familiar with this particular splitter. Had a nice throbbing buise for a few days for a reminder, that backing and sideplates weren't to be ignored.

Well that has sorted the side plates for me - not to have them Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Oh, you'll be okay Dave -- it was just a mention so you wouldn't do what I did.  I haven't since. Just remember things can get caught in reverse as well as forward.

And they are very handy for positioning a log.

Again there's a difference between a moving wedge type and the stationary type. The moving wedge also benefits from side bars because they tend to keep the split pieces from falling on the far side of the splitter, or on your toes.

You can uaually pick up the splits without moving and throw them where you want them piled.

On a fixed wedge type, I imagine they tend to push off the end, so any supports would need to be further back.

(02-06-2015, 06:39 PM)vtsteam Wrote: On a fixed wedge type, I imagine they tend to push off the end, so any supports would need to be further back.

That's true so I really don't need them where yours are.

Although they do look handy to stop the logs rolling off before the splitting starts.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Log Splitter - stevec - 02-07-2015

VT, How high off the ground is the top of the beam?
The first pic looks like the wheels would be right behind the operator's leg, do you find they get in the way?

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004