MetalworkingFun Forum
Log Splitter - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Log Splitter (/thread-2109.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Log Splitter - DaveH - 02-28-2015

Ed,
Seems one of these "swings and roundabouts" Chin either way I loose Bash

They are small(ish) logs normally easy enough to pick up. So may be I should raise it up a bit Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

(02-28-2015, 03:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: Pull up a stump to sit on

Hi Vinny,
 I was just thinking that Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Mmm ............  should work Big Grin 

[attachment=10157]

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Log Splitter - Mayhem - 02-28-2015

Make the handle longer as that is what you are going to be working most.

RE: Log Splitter - vtsteam - 02-28-2015

On a hill here I always roll the low side tire up onto a 2-by laid flat to level the bed. The same thing can be done for both sides to raise it, if need be. I usually work from the high side of the hill and appreciate the relatively lowered deck, as a result -- particularly with big diameter logs.

It looks good. The only thing I would like is the handle closer to the operator. Seems like a stretch off the end like that. But maybe your splitter is shorter than mine, so the distance is the same. Hard to say without actually trying the control position out.

RE: Log Splitter - Highpower - 02-28-2015

(02-28-2015, 03:00 PM)DaveH Wrote: This is how I envisaged the log splitter when assembled

It seems a bit low to me 24" (620mm) from the ground to the top of the cylinder 17428

Most log splitters (to me) seem on the low side, I realize the higher it is from the ground the higher one has to lift the logs. However "bending over it" all the time is also not very appealing  Big Grin

Any thoughts, comments Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Maybe you've been looking at it from the wrong perspective Dave. Turn your beam over and then just roll the logs under it. No lifting involved!  Big Grin

[Image: upsidedown30tpop_1.jpg]

RE: Log Splitter - vtsteam - 02-28-2015

That doesn't look like fun to me. Rolling logs under isn't easy as it sounds. Especially if there are limb stubs. Then there would be the buildup of bark, dirt, and splitoffs under. You'd have to clear that frequently with your hands. Then also you'd have to throw the fresh splits from under the beam, meaning picking each one up. Clearing a jam wouldn't be fun. You can't see what's happening as you can from above.

With a very big log normally I let one split fall on my side while keeping the other on the bed to split smaller. saves having to walk around the splitter to pick up the second split. But with the upside down bed, I guess you'd have to pull both out. You'd really be stooped for everything. About the only place this would work at all seems to be on that polished cement floor in the picture. Impossible on a hill in grass. Just all around inconvenient in every way I can think of!

RE: Log Splitter - dallen - 02-28-2015

its mounted on the front of a bobcat the guy never gets off his butt

DA

RE: Log Splitter - stevec - 03-01-2015

My home built log splitter has a working height of 35" but it has a "log lift" and a tray after the splitting wedge.

The log lift will handle the largest junks I split (about 30+") but will also act as a "tray" when lifted with 5 or 6 smaller
junks on it while I split them one at a time.
The "tray" after the wedge prevents the split halves from falling to the ground, if more splits are required I shift one half to the lift "tray"
and then move the other half for it's subsequent split and so on.
All the above is done at comfortable waist height.
I do have to bend to roll (large) logs on or stack multiple smaller ones on but the bending down is kept to a minimum.

Oh, pics can be found on post #53 of this thread. I coulda avoided all the above typing! Bash

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Log Splitter - DaveH - 03-01-2015

(03-01-2015, 08:03 AM)stevec Wrote: My home built log splitter has a working height of 35" but it has a "log lift" and a tray after the splitting wedge.
Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

Bleh Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH