MetalworkingFun Forum
Surface grinder tooling - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Other Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-13.html)
+---- Forum: Surface Grinders (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-31.html)
+---- Thread: Surface grinder tooling (/thread-2194.html)

Surface grinder tooling - PixMan - 07-22-2014

I was just poking around on the PM forum and was reminded by a thread there that I have some yet-to-be-used tooling for my surface grinder. Among those tools is a Phase II (brand) Chinese made radius & angle dresser.

I picked up off the local Craigslist for $35 a little over two years ago and have yet to need to use it. It's there when I need it, though I suppose now that I dragged it out of the cabinet I should clean the original Cosmolene off and give it a try.

[Image: IMG_2383-r_zps04e66aad.jpg]

Now thinking about it, there's a few other grinder-specific tools I have and rarely use, so here's another photo. These are pass-thru magnetic parallels and vee blocks. Some found locally, most from eBay for cheap. I don't think I spent $50 for the lot. I've used a couple of the parallels once or twice, that's about it.

[Image: IMG_0301-r.jpg]

What do you guys have?

RE: Surface grinder tooling - Sunset Machine - 07-22-2014

My "tooling" looks exactly like my scrap pile. Sad

RE: Surface grinder tooling - awemawson - 07-23-2014

Pixman, my tooling looks just like yours! Also it is rarely used, but when it is nothing else would do. I have a head mounted angle and radius dresser and I confess I've only ever used it for straight dressing

RE: Surface grinder tooling - EdK - 07-23-2014

Sadly, not only do I not have surface grinder tooling but I don't have a surface grinder yet either. Sadno

Ed

RE: Surface grinder tooling - Mayhem - 07-23-2014

I'm with you Ed. I keep an eye out but the list prices I see always have the decimal point in the wrong spot.

RE: Surface grinder tooling - PixMan - 07-23-2014

I know how tough it can be to find machinery over there in WA, Darren. I also know how limited Ed is with money and space for such luxuries, so if either of you ever need a grinding job done you know who to ask!

I'm going to post a couple more photos here soon. One will be my 2" wide x 3-1/2" length capacity grinding vise with the 5" sine base that I made as my senior year project in vocational high school for the 1976-1977 school year. Just a week ago I had brought my 91 year old shop teacher to my shop to show him how I still have and use the tools I'd made under his tutelage. He was SO impressed with the shop and the projects I showed him that I'd done there.

RE: Surface grinder tooling - awemawson - 07-23-2014

Pixman, that's a really touching story. I wish I was still in touch with the teachers that inspired me. I was only saying to someone the other day that I think I'm regressing, and trying to re-create my school work shop at home :)

RE: Surface grinder tooling - PixMan - 07-23-2014

Thanks, awemawson. The skills he taught me have lasted all my life and paid off handsomely, I owe Mr. Felix Stolulonis a debt of gratitude. It was a funny way that we reconnected about a year ago. My wife works for a private agency providing personal home health care and housekeeping to the elderly. She got a fill-in with him, and he liked her so much that he requested she be the regular provider of services. It was a few weeks into that when they were talking about his work history as a shop teacher and she mentioned that "my husband went to that school." Not only did he teach me, but he also had my father and one of my brothers!

RE: Surface grinder tooling - krv3000 - 07-25-2014

don't need one have onew at work will post a pic its masive

RE: Surface grinder tooling - Dr Stan - 01-15-2015

Pixman you didn't buy that, its called larceny!   And yes I'm jealous and you earned this:  You Suck