MetalworkingFun Forum
Let's See Your Shop - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Let's See Your Shop (/thread-22.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Let's See Your Shop - PixMan - 11-12-2013

Nicely done Shawn! You've found a new home. We love that kind of stuff!

RE: Let's See Your Shop - Shawn - 12-10-2013

Thanks guys, the shop is by far the most used room in my house. My friends joke that I should just buy a big shop and sleep in a corner on a cot. They think that's funny, I think it's a great idea : ). The editing is done with an iPad app, can't remember the name offhand but it is simple to use. The song is just one of the free songs that comes with the app. I have some top notch video editing software on my laptop but the iPad is just so convenient.

Shawn

RE: Let's See Your Shop - f350ca - 12-10-2013

Nice shop and equipment Shawn, should be the most used room in the house.

RE: Let's See Your Shop - PixMan - 12-10-2013

Wow, I love the way your video is done! I wish I had time to learn how to do such things. I've got photography skills, but out of practice because I'm so busy with work and caring for my mom at her home.

So tell be just how many lathes do you actually have in there which are running and used? I think I counted 4 different ones as the photos went by. Perhaps post a list of equipment.

Here's my (very short) list:

1982-1983 Alliant V42 with ProtoTRAK Plus 2-axis control
1981 Kent KGS-200 surface grinder with OE style coolant/dust collector unit.
1974 Victor 1640 lathe with 3-jaw top jaw scroll chuck, 12" 4-jaw Atlas independent, 15" D1-6 face plate, Dorian CA QCTP, re-purposed Harrison steady rest and Mitutoyo DRO.
1999 Enco 17" 8 speed drill press 1HP MT3 spindle
2001 MSC 7x12 horizontal bandsaw with vertical capability
1956 Black Diamond 2B drill grinder, 1/16" to 1/2" capacity
1950's vintage 1/2HP 6" Craftsman bench grinder
2000 Enco No.802-1020 2-ton arbor press
24x36x4 Grade 2 granite surface plate
Countless measuring tools, cutting tools and machine accessories

RE: Let's See Your Shop - Shawn - 12-11-2013

That hardly seems like a short list of equipment Pixman. I actually only have three lathes and only one of those sees regular use. The little Unimat 3 is what started this whole addiction. It hasn't been used since I bought the South Bend but I have been working at fixing it up slowly. I have a variable speed sewing machine motor that will eventually drive it and have replaced the plastic Gibbs with brass ones so far. The Smart & Brown 1024 VSL is my latest acquisition. It was running when I bought it but I'm stripping it down, making and purchasing some new parts for it and waiting for my bank account to heal before buying a RPC to power it. I was hoping to have it running by now but it's a slow process and the SB is still providing all the entertainment I really need. I also own 3 mills which is more than I need but one is a horizontal and the little X2 clone is getting CNC'd. The electronics showed up in the mail the other day, I'm just waiting on the hardware to arrive. I bought both the electronics and hardware as a kit so I'm hoping once all the parts are here it won't be too much of a process to get it all together.

The biggest thing in have learned with this new hobby is patience. When I first started machining I would rush a project to see the final result and now I'm happy taking my time and doing each operation as a project in itself. It's an odd transition, a couple years ago I would get pissed off if I didn't have the right tool for a job and I would usually mess it up trying to take a short cut. Now I have no issue spending a couple of weeks building a tool that I need to complete a 5 minute job.

That's enough internet rambling though, I hardly drink but tonight I have had quite a few Cool

I am also looking after my Mom who was diagnosed with ulziemers so I know what your going through. A few hours spent in front of a machine is certainly good for the soul, this hobby came at the right time for that.

RE: Let's See Your Shop - ScrapMetal - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 01:10 AM)Shawn Wrote: The biggest thing in have learned with this new hobby is patience. When I first started machining I would rush a project to see the final result and now I'm happy taking my time and doing each operation as a project in itself. It's an odd transition, a couple years ago I would get pissed off if I didn't have the right tool for a job and I would usually mess it up trying to take a short cut. Now I have no issue spending a couple of weeks building a tool that I need to complete a 5 minute job.

I've been told (can't imagine whyRolleyes) that this is a sure sign of approaching geezer-hood. Big Grin

-Ron

OMG Ron, you might be right. I'm turning into an old guy!!! When do I get the wisdom and old man strong?

This reminds me of a quote

There is always some specific moment when we become aware that our youth is gone; but, years after, we know it was much later.

Mignon McLaughlin

RE: Let's See Your Shop - Mayhem - 12-11-2013

Personally I like "the older I get, the better I was" (author unknown).

Building tools to make stuff is the only way to go. I have a cupboard full of "special tools" that automotive manufacturers try to tell you that you MUST buy from them...

Sorry to hear of your Mum's diagnosis. It is a hard disease for family members to see develop and progress.

RE: Let's See Your Shop - stevec - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 01:10 AM)Shawn Wrote: waiting for my bank account to heal before buying a RPC to power it.

Shawn, have you considered using a VFD instead of a RPC?
Or, have you considered making your own RPC instead of "breaking the bank" by buying one?

I did consider the VFD but I need to run a step up transformer to go from 220 to 440 volt. There is also a three phase coolant pump that requires power and it's my understanding running two motors from the same input from a VFD is problematic?

My electrical expererience is pretty basic, I did do a bit of research around building my own RPC but it was all a bit to daunting for me. I just managed to install a 120v outlet in my shop and that was a huge success for me, if that tells you anything about my experience level Blush

Shawn