MetalworkingFun Forum
Moving a Bridgeport Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: How-To's (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Moving a Bridgeport Mill (/thread-2327.html)

Pages: 1 2

Moving a Bridgeport Mill - schor - 10-14-2014

Moving a friends new Bridgeport. An interesting means of lifting heavy machines. I've got hours of video I need to edit but will post more as I get the edits done.

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - stevec - 10-15-2014

Wow! I could see using a tripod to lift it but a BIPOD? what keeps it from tipping toward or away from the truck? 17428
I'll wait for the upcoming vids.

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - TomG - 10-15-2014

Looks pretty scary to me. Without separate guy lines to the truck, the bipod is relying on the friction of the hoist to keep it in position. Yikes

Tom

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - Mayhem - 10-15-2014

Use the force Luke...

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - schor - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 06:24 AM)stevec Wrote: Wow! I could see using a tripod to lift it but a BIPOD? what keeps it from tipping toward or away from the truck? 17428
I'll wait for the upcoming vids.

Smiley-eatdrink004

The A-frame is tilted slitghtly away from the truck and a chain attached to the truck is used as the third leg.

(10-15-2014, 06:41 AM)TomG Wrote: Looks pretty scary to me. Without separate guy lines to the truck, the bipod is relying on the friction of the hoist to keep it in position. Yikes

Tom

To me the scariest thing is actually the potential of the 4x4's to snap at the knots. There is so much downward force that I do not see any way it can slip out.

(10-15-2014, 07:46 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Use the force Luke...

You got that right.

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - TomG - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 06:41 AM)TomG Wrote: Looks pretty scary to me. Without separate guy lines to the truck, the bipod is relying on the friction of the hoist to keep it in position. Yikes

Tom

Nevermind.

I looked at the video again and the bipod is constrained. Didn't see exactly how it was set up at first glance.

Tom

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - Dr Stan - 10-15-2014

Just got to ask. Given the paved surface and the really nice skid that the BP is on, why not borrow/rent a forklift? Faster, safer, etc.

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - schor - 10-16-2014

(10-15-2014, 10:43 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Just got to ask. Given the paved surface and the really nice skid that the BP is on, why not borrow/rent a forklift? Faster, safer, etc.

There was no forklift at the pickup place, renting one would have cost more than this method. My buddy wants to get a lathe and a surface grinder too so this rig will help with that.

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - schor - 10-18-2014

Video 2 is of blocking up the mill to build the pallet under it, then get the mill outside and ready for the actual lift which will be the next video.

RE: Moving a Bridgeport Mill - schor - 10-19-2014

Let's get this mill onto the trailer.