MetalworkingFun Forum
Billy G's Die Filer - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Billy G's Die Filer (/thread-2557.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - Bill Gruby - 03-22-2015

Print #5, Table Locking Knob.

Change the .250 Diameter center hole to read Drill #3 diameter thru and Tap 1/4-28.

"Billy G"

WARNING --- This one is for you new people, and pros too. What you are seeing is one continuous chip created by that drill bit. It is the size of a baseball and as sharp as any razor blade you can find. It will tear you up in a heartbeat. Stop once in a while to clear the drill bit, you won't be sorry. A trip to the ER for stitches is not fun.

"Billy G"

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - PixMan - 03-22-2015

(03-22-2015, 08:31 AM)Bill Gruby Wrote: WARNING --- This one is for you new people, and pros too. What you are seeing is one continuous chip created by that drill bit. It is the size of a baseball and as sharp as any razor blade you can find. It will tear you up in a heartbeat. Stop once in a while to clear the drill bit, you won't be sorry. A trip to the ER for stitches is not fun.

"Billy G"

And I pray this isn't what prompted the Public Service Announcement, Bill!

I stop feeding for a fraction of a second, barely backing up the tailstock or quill and that's usually enough to break a chip. Or, just use parabolic flute drills (on the snmaller stuff) and they break chips pretty good just by virtue of feeding them properly hard.

I'm OK Ken. I pushed that back on the bit to show what happens when you are careless. There is never enough said abour these things. It only takes a blink of the eye and disaster is right there waiting. Our hobby is only as safe as we make it.

The center is done.

"Billy G"

I set the goal to get the top finished sans cosmetics. My day is over. Hope everyone had a good day.

"Billy G"  

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - DaveH - 03-22-2015

Yep, I had a good day thanks, even though it's raining Smile
Coming along nicely Billy Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - PixMan - 03-22-2015

(03-22-2015, 02:35 PM)DaveH Wrote: Yep, I had a good day thanks, even though it's raining Smile
Coming along nicely Billy Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

We could do for some rain here. If we were to have precipitation here right now it would be more of the white fluffy stuff and I'm sick of that.

Looking great Bill!

Someone on another Forum asked how I transfer holes. I use Transfer Screw Sets. I have many different sizes. The body holds 6 punches and doubles as the wrench to set them. The last pic here shows the dimples (in the red circles) of two holes transferred at the same time.

"Billy G"

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - Bill Gruby - 03-23-2015

A random thought -- What if an overarm were added and a plunger type blade holder added to make this a detail saw as well. WOW -- maybe I should stop thinking. Jawdrop

"Billy G"

RE: Billy G's Die Filer - Bill Gruby - 03-23-2015

Look Ma, no red.

"Billy G"