MetalworkingFun Forum
5 Cylinder Radial - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: 5 Cylinder Radial (/thread-2632.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - TomG - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 10:45 AM)Brian Wrote:   

Hi Dr Stan 
If it ever gets to the stage of flying it. I want a very stable low speed aircraft with the capability of carrying a heavy load.. So my thoughts
are of a scale Spirit of St Louis.  With a span of 11 Ft    It's slab sided and parallel cord so it should be an easy build in foam sheet.
But all this is a long way ahead first lets just see if it runs???

If you use the Ryan, you may want to exercise a bit of artistic license and add some dihedral to the wing. The original design is inherently unstable and especially so with a model. The last thing you want is to have to fly it all the time to keep it in the air.

Many years ago, I started building a Gnome rotary engine and made a deal with my dad that if I finished the engine, he would build a 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 to put it in. The engine was pretty far along, but unfortunately life got in the way and Dad got old, so it was never completed. I do plan on a resurrection, but it's doubtful I could complete it in time for Dad to see (he's 93), although it would be nice to at least see the engine run.

Tom

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Brian - 10-31-2019

Hi Tom
Yes some dihedral would be a great help I have considered a little wash out on the tips and perhaps making the fuselage a little longer To make control softer the original is very close coupled.
I think the Gnome must be at the top of your to do list .
Brian.

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - TomG - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 02:36 PM)Brian Wrote: Hi Tom
Yes some dihedral would be a great help I have considered a little wash out on the tips and perhaps  making the fuselage a little longer To make control softer the original is very close coupled.
I think the Gnome must be at the top of your to do list .
Brian.

Actually the Stevens rifle is at the top of my list, once my life is back in some semblance of order. The Gnome will follow.

Tom

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Dr Stan - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 10:45 AM)Brian Wrote:   

Hi Dr Stan 
If it ever gets to the stage of flying it. I want a very stable low speed aircraft with the capability of carrying a heavy load.. So my thoughts
are of a scale Spirit of St Louis.  With a span of 11 Ft    It's slab sided and parallel cord so it should be an easy build in foam sheet.
But all this is a long way ahead first lets just see if it runs???

Oh I believe it will run, you already have too much work in it for it to just sit & be a static display.

BTW, I was thinking along the lines of a bi-plane.

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Brian - 11-06-2019

[attachment=16347] 

The last part of the casing done apart from fitting the front bearing , that will be done when the crank is finished.

So its on to make the crank. 
Brian.  Smiley-dancenana

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Brian - 11-07-2019

Just arrived in the post 10 euro  free delivery    Just could not resist it.

Brian.  Smiley-dancenana
[attachment=16348]

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - TomG - 11-07-2019

I was wondering how you were going to handle carburation. If the size is appropriate, that seems like a good option.

Tom

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Highpower - 11-07-2019

Quote:Note: Some technical skill required to fit.

They obviously don't know Brian very well. Big Grin

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - Dr Stan - 11-08-2019

Certainly a wise choice. You would have spent a lot more than 10 Euros on material, labor, etc to build a carb.

RE: 5 Cylinder Radial - f350ca - 11-08-2019

Brian, I can't believe you spent 10 Euros on something you could have spent 20 Euros on materials and hours of work to make, that might not work as well.