MetalworkingFun Forum
Home Shop Made Tools - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Home Shop Made Tools (/thread-2799.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Old Minger - 03-05-2016

That thread looks fine in more ways than one. Thumbsup What did you use? 

Have you tried it yet?

John

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Mayhem - 03-05-2016

Thanks John - The thread was cut using a "laydown" threading insert. It is a 1.0 metric pitch.

I used it today to cut a collet a friend had made for a .50 bullet puller he is building. The collet grabs the case around the extraction groove.

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Sunset Machine - 03-05-2016

Between centers - good man. I use a pointy stick in the chuck, marked for #0 so it goes in the same way each time. The dog leans up against one of the jaws. Much easier/quicker than mounting a faceplate and a much better choice than using the chuck as a chuck on one end.

I present my shiny new threading bar. And the lack of adjustable dials on the mill/drill bit me again on the setscrews.. "was that two turns plus 78, or..?"

No matter, it's a rock solid 3/4" bar. Even at a 5" stickout there wasn't a hint of chatter. The last image is the finished thread. This was done on a horizontal mill using the .050" feed (for 20 TPI) and plunging .005" straight in for each pass. The last two passes were spring cuts.

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - pepi - 03-05-2016

I like it, home made tool threads are always the best!   Smiley-signs107

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Dr Stan - 03-05-2016

(03-05-2016, 10:47 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Between centers - good man. I use a pointy stick in the chuck, marked for #0 so it goes in the same way each time. The dog leans up against one of the jaws. Much easier/quicker than mounting a faceplate and a much better choice than using the chuck as a chuck on one end.

One should still take a clean-up cut on the center before turning in between centers.  I'm sure your method is close, but there are times when close is not good enough.

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Sunset Machine - 03-05-2016

Technically, of course. But I've put a dial on it, dead steady. That's why it's marked for 0. If I were concerned, I'd do exactly what you suggest before I'd bother with a faceplate and hard center. That gets OLD quick. Smile

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - RobWilson - 03-05-2016

Smiley-signs107  Darren ,  nicely done mate  Big Grin

Rob

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - DaveH - 03-05-2016

Yep, nicely done Darren Thumbsup   Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Mayhem - 03-05-2016

I used the same setup as you Sunshine.

RE: Home Shop Made Tools - Sunset Machine - 03-06-2016

Sunshine. <chuckle> That's what we call smart-asses. I might have deserved that, but you did say "the first time". Many put a center pop in and bring it out to the tailstock, still using the chuck and forcing the work into place. It seems innocent enough, sometimes unavoidable, but.

Mind a little remark? Your external thread looks rough. I can't tell from the pic if the tool rubbed, dull, or if the threads just need to be dusted. A wire brush and emery looked like they might help. Or maybe I should find my glasses.