MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 06:53 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Video - we want video Big Grin

I'll try to make a video, if I remember.

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - stevec - 09-10-2015

Tape the video cam to the nozzle of the fire extinguisher Ed, that'll give us the full effect. Rotfl Rotfl

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 09-10-2015

No joy but no smoke either. I powered up the VFD without letting the magic smoke out so a good start. There's a power up test that you go through to set a few parameters to match your motor before you drive the motor with the VFD. There are many groups of parameters and even more settings within each group. I wasn't able to get to a few of the groups at all to set some of the motor specs so I finally called it a night and decided to get the aid of Mr Google. He came through as usual. The very first YouTube video I watched revealed that there's a parameter you need to set to enable all possible settings. It comes with a default setting of "Basic display" and needs to be changed to "Full display". You'd think in the section that takes you through the steps to set it up for the power up test, they'd tell you that you need to enable the "Full display" setting in order to make the changes they are walking you through.  Bash

I'll try again tomorrow if I have time. My brother is coming over and we're going to work on our niece's kitchen counter top. Yuk!

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - DaveH - 09-10-2015

(09-10-2015, 06:31 PM)EdK Wrote: You'd think in the section that takes you through the steps to set it up for the power up test, they'd tell you that you need to enable the "Full display" setting in order to make the changes they are walking you through.  Bash

Ed

Yes you would and one of the main reasons instructions are not complete and unclear is because the person that "designs it" writes the manual. It is nearly always better to get a third party to write the manuals.
Well that's my good deed for the day Cool
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Highpower - 09-10-2015

Quote:There are many groups of parameters and even more settings within each group.......

It comes with a default setting of "Basic display" and needs to be changed to "Full display".

Ed

When setting up my lathe I spent hours upon hours trying to figure out why my dual lathe control setup was operating backwards. 17428 17428 

After reading through the manual for the 20'th time, I finally saw that all 7 control input relays had a default setting of NO (normally open) except ONE which had a default setting of NC (normally closed.) You guessed it.....   Bash

One stinking parameter change was all it took.   Blush

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 09-11-2015

I got enough parameters set on the VFD to make the motor spin so there is some progress. I still have a few more I need to tweak and then I'll video the "running of the mill". Stay tuned. Smile

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - TomG - 09-11-2015

Where did you purchase the VFD Ed?

(09-11-2015, 06:02 PM)TomG Wrote: Where did you purchase the VFD Ed?

Tom,

I knew I wanted a Hitachi VFD based on my experience with the one I got for my bench top mill so I researched Hitachi VFDs and settled on the WJ200 series because they are sensorless vector VFDs and are the successor to the SJ200 series I have on my bench top mill. I found the best price on the 3HP version and when I contacted Matt about purchasing the mill, he ended up bettering the best price I had found by about $18.00. That's not much but since I was ordering the mill from him anyway, I bought the VFD from him.

The best price I found was here:

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/p-2527-wj200-022sf.aspx

And from Matt I got it for $320.

Hope this helps. Smile

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - TomG - 09-11-2015

Ed,

I've watched a few videos of mills on VFD's and they all seem to ramp up to speed much slower than mine does on a rotary phase converter. Is that something that can be remedied by proper sizing or programming, or is that slow response an unfortunate limitation of VFD's? I'd like to get rid of that noisy rotary, but not at the expense of performance.

Tom

Tom,

You can set the start acceleration and stop deceleration time in seconds. I'll post the details tomorrow. I need to look at the manual to see what the exact parameter granularity is.

Ed

P.S. 0.01 to 3600 seconds.