MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - PixMan - 09-12-2015

I probably missed it with all the confusion going on in my life this past week Ed, but what's the status of the machine itself? Is it sitting in a garage, is it partially disassembled or fully installed in your basement workshop?

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Mayhem - 09-12-2015

(09-11-2015, 05:48 PM)EdK Wrote: I got enough parameters set on the VFD to make the motor spin so there is some progress. I still have a few more I need to tweak and then I'll video the "running of the mill". Stay tuned.  Smile

Ed

I only have two parameters:

[attachment=11787]

Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - arvidj - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 07:13 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 05:48 PM)EdK Wrote: I got enough parameters set on the VFD to make the motor spin so there is some progress. I still have a few more I need to tweak and then I'll video the "running of the mill". Stay tuned.  Smile

Ed

I only have two parameters:

Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin   Big Grin

For the anal-retentive among us that is one parameter with two settings   Blush

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 06:59 AM)PixMan Wrote: I probably missed it with all the confusion going on in my life this past week Ed, but what's the status of the machine itself? Is it sitting in a garage, is it partially disassembled or fully installed in your basement workshop?

Ken,

It's still in the garage sitting on the pallet. Once I've run it enough to make sure everything is working then I'll start the dis-assembly.

Ed

[attachment=11792]

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Highpower - 09-12-2015

(09-11-2015, 08:22 PM)EdK Wrote: Tom,

You can set the startup acceleration and deceleration time in seconds.

Yup. If I set the accel/decel time too low on my lathe it will smoke the drive belt. (Same Hitachi SJ-200 VFD that Ed has.) The 2HP motor reaches full speed in a fraction of a second, but the weight and mass of the drive train cannot - so something has to give. (Major belt squeal.) It puts a lot of unneeded strain on the machine by trying to start and stop too quickly. But you can do it easily with a VFD if you really want to.

[Image: th_Lathe_3phase.jpg]

Not knowing any better at the time, I installed a RPC for my mill when I got it. I could have bought TWO really nice VFD's for the same money, but hadn't learned about them yet.   Slaphead

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - PixMan - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 09:17 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 06:59 AM)PixMan Wrote: I probably missed it with all the confusion going on in my life this past week Ed, but what's the status of the machine itself? Is it sitting in a garage, is it partially disassembled or fully installed in your basement workshop?

Ken,

It's still in the garage sitting on the pallet. Once I've run it enough to make sure everything is working then I'll start the dis-assembly.

Ed

Just wondering Ed, but if there's no Mrs. Ed to complain, why aren't you just commandeering the garage and making it your shop like most guys do?

Idea Smiley-dancenana

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Mayhem - 09-12-2015

Why the Garage Ken? If I were in Ed's situation I would put it into the kitchen. Ed's machines are clean enough to eat off, so no need to actually leave the house Big Grin

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Highpower - 09-12-2015

I'm guessing the basement is climate controlled, whereas the garage is not?   Chin 

I don't even have a garage but I do have heat and A/C in my basement shop.

p.s.
I did park my Kawasaki LTD1000 in the kitchen of my first house for a time though...
And yes, it was brand new so it was clean too.  Big Grin

(09-12-2015, 09:21 PM)Highpower Wrote: I'm guessing the basement is climate controlled, whereas the garage is not?   Chin 

Willie hit the nail on the head. In the garage I'd have to worry about the humidity rusting the equipment and I wouldn't be able to use them in the winter time. Not a good option for me since that would limit my metalworking activities to about April through October in a good year.

Ed

(09-12-2015, 08:02 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Why the Garage Ken?  If I were in Ed's situation I would put it into the kitchen.  Ed's machines are clean enough to eat off, so no need to actually leave the house Big Grin

Rotfl

My kitchen isn't nearly big enough to allow my metalworking stuff to reside in there. Plus, I love to cook and I'm pretty good at it so there's no way I'd want to interfere with that activity.

Ed