MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-11-2015

I've been dealing with some structural issues with the garage slab so haven't had much time to work on getting the basement ready for the new mill. I did steal some time to install a duplex outlet box, no wiring to it yet though. And I marked out where the lathe will go so I could verify the measurements on my CAD drawing.

Ed

[attachment=11943]  [attachment=11944]

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-17-2015

It's slow going on this project but I did manage to get power run to the duplex outlet box. It took most of the day which included a trip to Menards. Not much to show for a days worth of work but I'm real close to being able to move the lathe into it's new spot. I have some sheets of 1/4" luan plywood that I got from a friend who didn't need them a good 10 years ago. I think I might put them on the wall and then top it with some of that white melamine board that's washable.  Chin

Ed

[attachment=11958]

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - arvidj - 10-18-2015

(10-17-2015, 05:30 PM)EdK Wrote: I have some sheets of 1/4" luan plywood that I got from a friend who didn't need them a good 10 years ago. I think I might put them on the wall and then top it with some of that white melamine board that's washable.  Chin

Ed

When you come up with an easy way to cut the plywood and melamine to fit nicely around the existing outlet boxes let me know. I've wanted to put melamine coated plywood on the basement walls for many years but have not come up with a reasonable way to it it around the existing outlets. Maybe I should remove the "fit nicely" criteria and just get it done.

I've done drywall in other parts of the basement using a Dremel drywall bit but drywall had two advantages over melamine coated plywood. First the drywall cuts much more easily than the plywood. Second, a multitude of sins in drywall can be resolved with patching plaster, sandpaper and paint. With the plywood, not-so-much.

Arvid

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - wawoodman - 10-18-2015

Not exactly what you're looking for, but it might help:

https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Electrical-Trim-Ring-3p2478.htm

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Mayhem - 10-18-2015

Don't you have surface mount outlets in the US? I simply drill a hole in the board for the cable to poke through and then mount the outlet. Simple.

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-18-2015

(10-18-2015, 08:57 AM)arvidj Wrote: When you come up with an easy way to cut the plywood and melamine to fit nicely around the existing outlet boxes let me know. ...

Arvid

That is going to be a challenge but if I'm way off, I'll just get one of those over-sized outlet plates or just make a piece of trim out of 1/8" white plastic that will cover my sins.

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Sunset Machine - 10-18-2015

Try a plywood pattern for a handheld router. Have a helper hold or tape it in place and whiz around the hole with a router.

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Vinny - 10-18-2015

Measure from one side of the paneling to mark the box on the BACK SIDE of the paneling or melamine. Do all of your cutting from the back as well. C'mon guys. You cut steel to within 0.001" and can't cut a hunk of wood to within 0.250"?

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-19-2015

I know this stuff isn't specifically mill related but since I'm doing it because I got the new mill, I'm going to keep posting it in this thread. Anyway, I got one panel of luan plywood up today, the easy one. The next one will be the one I have to cut out the rectangle for the outlet box. Slow progress but I'm going to try to get at least one thing done every evening after work even though some days I'm not in the mood for it.

Ed

[attachment=11975]

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Mayhem - 10-19-2015

Having recently covered one bay of my shop I know the fun journey that you are about to embark upon Ed. Bonus for me was that I just had to drill holes for the power and then screw the surface mounting outlets on afterwards.

Remember to measure several times before you cut...