MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Roadracer_Al - 10-25-2015

I see your problem... what's this "living area" nonsense? That's taking away a huge chunk of shop space.

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-31-2015

Slow but sure slow progress on getting the shop ready. I'm ready to move the lathe to its new location.

Ed

[attachment=12046]  [attachment=12047]

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Highpower - 10-31-2015

Looking good Ed! What is your procedure for getting the lathe back on the floor?

I'm assuming you fixed your problem with the engine hoist leaking down on you? What was the solution on that? Inquiring minds want to know. Smile

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 03:33 PM)Highpower Wrote: Looking good Ed! What is your procedure for getting the lathe back on the floor?

I'm assuming you fixed your problem with the engine hoist leaking down on you? What was the solution on that?  Inquiring minds want to know.   Smile

The procedure will be to turn the valve screw counterclockwise just enough to slowly lower it to the floor.  Big Grin

I haven't fixed that problem yet but it appears that if I tighten the valve screw abnormally tight it seems to not leak down. I never used to have to do that so I suspect the cheap seal that was used is about ready to give up the ghost.

I attempted to lift the lathe and stand and it was tilting too much towards the back so I took the splash guard off but that didn't help much so I'm going to have to remove the motor. It's a minor pain in the butt to remove so I'm calling it a day and will get it off tomorrow.

Ed

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - wrustle - 11-01-2015

Ed, I haven't read through all the posts (just checking for pics), but first of all, nice mill, second of all........are you seriously going to bring that down stairs???

Oh, and third of all............I guess I better get offering up some flat stock for sale!!! lol

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 11-01-2015

(11-01-2015, 08:38 AM)wrustle Wrote: ...........are you seriously going to bring that down stairs???

Russ,

Yes, one piece at a time. Big Grin

Ed

(09-12-2015, 09:44 PM)EdK Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 09:21 PM)Highpower Wrote: I'm guessing the basement is climate controlled, whereas the garage is not?   Chin 

Willie hit the nail on the head. In the garage I'd have to worry about the humidity rusting the equipment and I wouldn't be able to use them in the winter time. Not a good option for me since that would limit my metalworking activities to about April through October in a good year.

Ed

Ed.....sounds like it's time for some aggressive expansion!!  You can buy an AC unit that also provides heat.  Build one into your wall in the garage and you're good to go!

It also sounds to me like it would be MUCH easier moving your ENTIRE shop from the basement into the garage than it would be moving that mill into your basement!

(11-01-2015, 08:45 AM)EdK Wrote:
(11-01-2015, 08:38 AM)wrustle Wrote: ...........are you seriously going to bring that down stairs???

Russ,

Yes, one piece at a time.  Big Grin

Ed

That base is going to be a hell of a lot heavier than you think!  Be careful!

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - Mayhem - 11-01-2015

(11-01-2015, 08:45 AM)EdK Wrote: ...one piece at a time...

One of my favorite Johnny Cash songs Big Grin

Moving mills bit by bit isn't that bad - I think I have a thread on it somewhere. Mind you, I didn't have all the bits, so it wasn't as arduous as it could have been...

RE: Looking At A Bigger Mill - EdK - 11-01-2015

(11-01-2015, 08:49 AM)wrustle Wrote: That base is going to be a hell of a lot heavier than you think!  Be careful!

Yup, that's the one piece I'm going to get help with moving.

Ed