MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-08-2015

(12-08-2015, 09:04 AM)zmotorsports Wrote: Wow Ed.  Looks like you have your work cut out before you can even work with the mill.

Mike.

Yeah, but it the end it will all be worth it Mike. Come late January when there is a couple of feet of snow on the ground and there is a -15° wind chill outside.... "OH! I need to mill this part!"

"No problem, I'll just walk down the stairs into my nice toasty shop and do it!" Big Grin

And Ed has it easy actually. HE has headroom in HIS basement. Rolleyes Rotfl

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-08-2015

(12-08-2015, 09:04 AM)zmotorsports Wrote: Wow Ed.  Looks like you have your work cut out before you can even work with the mill.

Mike.

Yea, and my job has me drained most days and some weekends so I don't get much time to work on the mill relocation. Not something you want to work on in the wrong frame of mind.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - zmotorsports - 12-09-2015

I really take having my detached, heated and comfortable shop for granted. I cannot fathom hauling equipment down into my basement.

You guys are studs. Thumbsup

Mike.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - dallen - 12-09-2015

(12-08-2015, 04:43 PM)EdK Wrote:

Mike.

Yea, and my job has me drained most days and some weekends so I don't get much time to work on the mill relocation. Not something you want to work on in the wrong frame of mind.

Ed

working on the mill is suppose to put you in the right frame of mind Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 12-09-2015

.zmotorsportsI really take having my detached, heated and comfortable shop for granted.  I cannot fathom hauling equipment down into my basement.  

Mike.

Amen to that.  My single requirement when purchasing our current house was space to build a shop.  Fortunately the house we bought in town is on a 1/2 acre lot.  It needed new windows, a new roof, an additional garage bay & siding which are done except for a small portion of the siding on the back side of the house.  A hail storm & the remnants of a hurricane paid for the roof and one window.  A kitchen remodel and bathroom remodels are sometime down the road.

Just glad I have the skills and tools (kept in the 24' X 48' [roughly 8m X 16m] shop I built) to do the work myself.  BTW, I built the shop before I started any of the work on the house.  Priorities ya know.   Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - zmotorsports - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 03:45 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: .zmotorsportsI really take having my detached, heated and comfortable shop for granted.  I cannot fathom hauling equipment down into my basement.  

Mike.

Amen to that.  My single requirement when purchasing our current house was space to build a shop.  Fortunately the house we bought in town is on a 1/2 acre lot.  It needed new windows, a new roof, an additional garage bay & siding which are done except for a small portion of the siding on the back side of the house.  A hail storm & the remnants of a hurricane paid for the roof and one window.  A kitchen remodel and bathroom remodels are sometime down the road.

Just glad I have the skills and tools (kept in the 24' X 48' [roughly 8m X 16m] shop I built) to do the work myself.  BTW, I built the shop before I started any of the work on the house.  Priorities ya know.   Smiley-eatdrink004

Agreed.

Luckily my wife is AWESOME!!!  When we were looking for a home back in 1990/91 we realized that we had a champaign appetite on a beer income. Rotfl  Not only were the houses we were looking at over our budget but they had no yards per se.   When we would pull up to look at a house the first place I would head was to the back yard to see if there was room for a shop.  My wife knew even back then that a detached shop was definitely in our future because I wanted a place for my race addiction.  I had some friends who at the time were using their attached garages to work out of and I knew I definitely wanted a detached one to work in.  It took a few years after purchasing the house but I too ended up building mine completely by myself other than the concrete work.  My dad was in quite poor health condition by then but bless his heart he came by and did what he could.  Many times I think just to hang out while I was working on the shop.  Sadly he didn't get a chance spend too much time in it with me after the shop was completed.

Mike.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 02:30 PM)zmotorsports Wrote: I cannot fathom hauling equipment down into my basement.  

Mike.

Some of us just do what we have to in order to get our metalworking fix.... errr... FUN! Big Grin

Having a good shoe horn helps too. Rotfl

[Image: Mill_Assembled_small.jpg]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Roadracer_Al - 12-09-2015

We had an interesting experience buying our current home. We contacted a real estate agent who had been recommended to us to show us around neighborhoods in Oakland. Long story short, we bought the first one we looked at because it had room ----> LOTS of room for a shop.

The house is unusual - the original footprint of the home was tiny. A nearby home (much bigger) was red-tagged due to a landslide. The roof was cut off the original house, and new foundations & walls installed to match the bigger home, which was jacked up and dropped on top.

The original house had been gutted to do the work, and never refinished. The upstairs and downstairs don't have a stairwell -- you have to go outside to get into the shop. The lower part was the only part of the house we could see on our first visit. I joked that if there was a warm place to poop upstairs that we'd take it. We did make a proper offer after seeing the upstairs.

The original house is my shop space, and the second story is our living space. The added area for the bigger footprint forms a narrow/deep 2 car garage which isn't actually wide enough for cars (if you want to get out of the car after you drive it into the garage, that is) but it's great for motorcycles.

I didn't think I'd ever have a home with a real shop area anywhere in the Bay Area. Nearly every time I go into the shop, I'm grateful for it.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - DaveH - 12-09-2015

I wish I had a basement Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - wawoodman - 12-09-2015

When we bought our house in Seattle, it had an attached 24 x 24 garage. I put in windows, a floor over the concrete, insulation, drywall, electrics. After about 6 years, I had the back wall bumped out 12 feet. This time, I let other people do it.

I love it, when it's chilly and raining, and I can take my coffee and head downstairs. The only problem is that in true accordance with Murphy's Law, stuff has expanded to overfill the space allotted to it...