MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Sunset Machine - 12-10-2015

My first shop was in a basement too. The new shop is in a detached 2+1 car, with the one space walled off and heated. I like the convenience of a basement except for the machinery moving part. Now, it's put the hat and coat on and slush through the wind and rain to get out there. And then back to the house to get the drawing I forgot...

Summer is nice though, toss open the doors and let the critters watch. A couple summers ago a bird decided to build a nest in where I was working. He'd sit on top on a machine for a minute, they fly out for another stick. I kept telling him this wasn't the place cuz I'm gonna shut that door pretty soon.

One year a humming bird had built a nest just outside the window. A squirrel decided to help himself to the nest and the hummer caught him. I didn't know squirrels could scream. That bird was vicious, kept stabbing the squirrel with his beak as it tried to get away. Chased him until I lost sight of them.

So good vs bad on shop locations. I just like having a shop.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 12-10-2015

I too have to put on bad weather gear to get to my shop in the winter, but I feel its more than worth it to have the detached building.  In good weather open all the doors & the three skylights & let the breeze blow through and the sun shine in.  BTW, the one thing I also did not do was the concrete, just too big for one person.

Also, hooray for the humming bird.   Thumbsup

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 12-10-2015

No matter the weather, I come out in shorts and a tee-shirt. At most I'll throw on a hoodie. If I have to shovel a path in the snow, it doesn't take long! Once I'm in here it, it's nice and warm. Hot summer day? Air conditioning. Can't open the overhead door tho, we slid a box in and it caught the hdmi cable going to the tv, so now it has a short cable and I have to disconnect it to open the door. There's also the deal with the ceiling fan but we won't talk about that.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 05:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: There's also the deal with the ceiling fan but we won't talk about that.

Sounds like there is a YouTube video in there somewhere.... Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 12-11-2015

I'm grateful to have a walk-in cellar shop at my son's home down the road, but looking forward to a late 2016 or (more likely) spring 2017 move to put it in my OWN walk-in cellar. There are problems and there are benefits. While the door to get in at my home is wide, it's not the 72" like the current shop. Mine is a couple inches shorter, though I have asphalt pavement right to the same-level cement floor. Rolling machines in will be easier although there is a slope to the driveway. Once I get inside, most of the cellar here has a lower ceiling, only my mill is tall enough for concern. I do have a drop in part of the floor for the area where my (brandy new) furnaces live, that's where the mill will have to go. Of course the entry door prevents me from getting almost any better 3 axis CNC mill.

The other limitation I have is POWER. My home is a two-family. In the course of upgrading the heating systems, I discovered that my tenant has 200 amp service. My 100 amp service is to upgraded to 200 in the coming weeks. If I go through the pains of moving my shop the 7-1/2 miles west, I'm committed to staying in this house "til death do us part." Obviously the BIG benefit will be having my shop just down two flights of stairs (for now, later just one.)

So back on-topic Ed, what's the latest status of your epic disassembly/reassembly?

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-12-2015

(12-11-2015, 07:11 AM)PixMan Wrote: ...

So back on-topic Ed, what's the latest status of your epic disassembly/reassembly?

Ken,

No progress to report on yet but hope to get some more done on it this weekend. I'd really like to have all of the pieces down into the basement  by Christmas since I have off work from the 24th of December thru January 3rd. That would give me lots of time for reassembly and hopefully the maiden voyage.  Big Grin

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - DaveH - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 09:44 AM)EdK Wrote: I'd really like to have all of the pieces down into the basement  by Christmas   Big Grin

Ed

Rotfl  Rotfl   Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-12-2015

Typical Christmas present.... "Some assembly required". Rotfl

You have enough "AA" batteries for that thing Ed? Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-12-2015

Got something done on this project. Made the slide pallet for the ram so it can be slid down the stairs on planks to the basement. I still need to add the end plates. I'll use some ratchet straps to hold it down onto the pallet. I had hoped to get the head all ready for the slide but ran out of time so hopefully I can finish that up tomorrow.

Ed

[attachment=12420]  [attachment=12421]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-12-2015

Wow. You put a lot more effort into that than I did Ed. Blush

I just strapped each piece onto my appliance dolly and away we went! Big Grin

Didn't work for the base and column though. Rotfl