MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-28-2015

(12-28-2015, 09:23 AM)arvidj Wrote: The second picture is a feature that is not listed in the instructions that come with the leveler. It is the "blood pressure increaser". After you have everything hooked up and have the lift several feet off the ground the link will pop into it's correct position increasing the operators blood pressure by 40 points. You were not charged extra for this feature!!

Good one Arvid! Rotfl

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-29-2015

Got the table off and in its coffin. The saddle looks small enough for me to lift which would be nice. I could just carry it down the basement and not have to create another sled. I'm running out of room in the garage so I'm going to have to get the pieces I have ready into the basement to free up the garage space.

Ed

[attachment=12518]  [attachment=12519]

[attachment=12520]

Got the saddle off and into the basement. I had to remove the lead screw nut assembly and am a bit concerned about having to align it when I go to reassemble. I scribed a line around it with a carbide scriber before removing it so I can at least get it close to start with. It had two countersunk holes in it that I thought where for flat head screws but no screws were installed and no threads in the saddle to accept screws (see picture below, they are circled in white). I'm beginning to think they're for some sort of jig that aligns the nut assembly for assembly purposes.  Chin

So far, nothing I've seen concerns me too much. There was some swarf in the clearance hole for the Y lead screw (see picture below). A bit more concerning was the total lack of lubrication on the bevel gears for the knee.  Yikes

Anyway, I'm down to the knee assembly, the turret and the main body casting.

Ed

[attachment=12523]

[attachment=12522]  [attachment=12524]

[attachment=12525]

Next I want to remove the turret. I was wondering if it would be OK to lift it by the two internal webs as shown in the picture below? There's not much else to get a hold of for lifting but I don't want to risk breaking the casting so I thought I better get some opinions first.

Ed

[attachment=12526]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 12-29-2015

Wonder if those two threaded holes in the nut housing could be for jack screws to elevate or tilt the nut if needed to align it to the lead screw?
Does the one shot oiler get the bevel gears?

(12-29-2015, 08:34 PM)f350ca Wrote: Wonder if those two threaded holes in the nut housing could be for jack screws to elevate or tilt the nut if needed to align it to the lead screw?
Does the one shot oiler get the bevel gears?

Greg,

Those holes are not threaded.

No, the one-shot oiler doesn't lubricate the bevel gears.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Roadracer_Al - 12-29-2015

Might be worthwhile to add a line to the 1-shot system while you have it apart.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 12-30-2015

(12-29-2015, 05:40 PM)EdK Wrote: Next I want to remove the turret. I was wondering if it would be OK to lift it by the two internal webs as shown in the picture below? There's not much else to get a hold of for lifting but I don't want to risk breaking the casting so I thought I better get some opinions first.

Ed

Just use some web type slings and you should be fine.  Be aware you will be very close to the mass center so it will probably be unstable.  I'd consider just removing the knee and leave the turret attached for moving.  Much depends on how much overhead clearance you have down the stairs.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-30-2015

(12-30-2015, 12:15 AM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(12-29-2015, 05:40 PM)EdK Wrote: Next I want to remove the turret. I was wondering if it would be OK to lift it by the two internal webs as shown in the picture below? There's not much else to get a hold of for lifting but I don't want to risk breaking the casting so I thought I better get some opinions first.

Ed

Just use some web type slings and you should be fine.  Be aware you will be very close to the mass center so it will probably be unstable.  I'd consider just removing the knee and leave the turret attached for moving.  Much depends on how much overhead clearance you have down the stairs.

I'll use the load leveler to stabilize it some and take it real slow.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-30-2015

So I was taking the four bolts out that hold the turret in place and once the last bolt came out I heard this loud bang. I damned near filled my drawers with warm, mushy, brown stuff. I got the turret removed and looked inside the body casting and saw the spider had taken a trip to the bottom of the casting. The pictures I've seen with the turret removed on Bridgeport mills, the spider sits on a shelf inside the casting so it doesn't drop in.  17428

Next I need to remove the knee but I'm concerned about removing a wrong bolt or nut and the whole knee come crashing down on me. Has anyone removed the knee from a knee mill before that could give me some advise? Mr Google was not of much help.

Ed

[attachment=12535]  [attachment=12536]