MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 12-30-2015

Every time I've heard of someone removing the knee they laid the mill on its side.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - arvidj - 12-30-2015

(12-30-2015, 02:48 PM)EdK Wrote: ... I got the turret removed and looked inside the body casting and saw the spider had taken a trip to the bottom of the casting. ...

Ed

I'm sure you have a plan detailing how you will get the spider back up to the top and hold it there while you attach at least one bolt thru the turret.

Just wondering ...

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-30-2015

(12-30-2015, 04:12 PM)arvidj Wrote: I'm sure you have a plan detailing how you will get the spider back up to the top and hold it there while you attach at least on bolt thru the turret.

Just wondering ...

For once, I actually do Arvid. Side access panel.  Big Grin

Ed

[attachment=12537]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 12-30-2015

That looks like a two person job!
The spider on mine sat there when I lifted the ram to add a riser, which is still there due to laziness. But then again its stored where I can find it.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-30-2015

When I removed the knee from mine I was by my lonesome. I cranked the knee all the way up until the screw was just sitting on top of the bronze nut. (Still plenty of dovetail left to hold it in place.) Put a couple of lifting straps through it and hooked up to the cherry picker to take the weight off of the screw/nut. I removed the jib (didn't want to break it) and lifted the knee straight up off of the dovetails. Re-installed it in reverse order (again by myself). Just had to guide the knee into position with one hand and operate the cherry picker with the other. Blush

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 12-30-2015

I meant putting that spider back in Willie, can see me trying to hold that up through the opening and drop the bolts in from above.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-30-2015

(12-30-2015, 06:00 PM)f350ca Wrote: That looks like a two person job!
The spider on mine sat there when I lifted the ram to add a riser, which is still there due to laziness. But then again its stored where I can find it.

Well, I have me, myself and I so I think I've got that covered. Smile

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 12-31-2015

Well hells's bells Ed. That's three of ya, you should have no problem!!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 12-31-2015

(12-30-2015, 06:56 PM)Highpower Wrote: When I removed the knee from mine I was by my lonesome. I cranked the knee all the way up until the screw was just sitting on top of the bronze nut. (Still plenty of dovetail left to hold it in place.)  Put a couple of lifting straps through it and hooked up to the cherry picker to take the weight off of the screw/nut. I removed the jib (didn't want to break it) and lifted the knee straight up off of the dovetails. Re-installed it in reverse order (again by myself). Just had to guide the knee into position with one hand and operate the cherry picker with the other.   Blush

Willie,

So there's no mechanism to prevent cranking it all the way off of the screw by mistake? I think the Bridgeport mills have something to prevent that. At least that's what it sounded like based on some info My Google found for me.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 12-31-2015

On my mill there is a stop pin/bolt on the column that keeps the knee from traveling too high when it's in place. But after the pin is removed the knee will crank farther up until knee elevation screw comes out of the nut.

But you're right, a real Bridgy is probably different so I'll shut up now.   Blush