MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 01-30-2016

(01-29-2016, 11:38 PM)Highpower Wrote: Yikes

So.... what's the tolerance on that platform Ed?  +/- .005"   Jawdrop

Ho-Lee!
Big Grin

Almost. Rotfl

Platform is ready for duty. I still have to get the ramps ready and put plywood down on the entryway to protect it. Lunch time first though.

Ed

[attachment=12636]

Well I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Not for lack of trying though. I got the ram into the entryway ready to lower into the basement. I had to get the winch ready by bolting it to a 4x4 and got that done but there's 25 feet of cable to reel in on the winch and it takes forever so I ran out of steam and will have to continue tomorrow. I'm probably the only person on the face of the earth that has a mill ram sitting in their entryway.  Smile

Time to go make a big pot of chili and pig out. Drool

Ed

[attachment=12637]  [attachment=12638]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 01-30-2016

Looks like you have a straight shot. Forget the winch, tie a good rope or cable to your car and ride the brakes till each piece gets downstairs.

(01-30-2016, 06:58 PM)Vinny Wrote: Looks like you have a straight shot.  Forget the winch, tie a good rope or cable to your car and ride the brakes till each piece gets downstairs.

I've thought of that but I already had the winch and may as well use it. With the winch, I could do it alone. With the car, I'd need another body to watch the piece as it descends the ramp and alert me if trouble rears it's ugly head.  Yikes

I just got off the phone with Arvid and he's willing to come and help me next Saturday if I don't have the pieces down into the basement by then. I'm likely going to take him up on his offer since I'll need help getting the main casting down into the basement. There's no way I'd tackle that piece by myself.

Ed

The "manual" that came with my mill says to use this for the spindle:

Mobiel DTE Light
ISO32
Viscosity 31

I got this from Enco before I researched the viscosity of Mobile DTE Light.

Mobile Velocite Oil No. 6
ISO 10
Viscosity 9.6

Obviously the viscosity is not what the mill requires and I was wondering what the repercussions would be of using it instead of the Mobile DTE Light recommended? I can't seem to find Mobile DTE Light in containers smaller than 5 gallons.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 01-30-2016

Hang a mirror at the foot of the steps (back a few feet, of course) and watch it while you lower each piece. If the mirror breaks then either:

A) Something went wrong
B) You let it down too fast
C) All of the above

Problem solved! Or you can wait for Arvid next week. Probably the better choice!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 08:10 PM)EdK Wrote: The "manual" that came with my mill says to use this for the spindle:

Mobiel DTE Light
ISO32
Viscosity 31

ISO 10
Viscosity 9.6

Obviously the viscosity is not what the mill requires and I was wondering what the repercussions would be of using it instead of the Mobile DTE Light recommended? I can't seem to find Mobile DTE Light in containers smaller than 5 gallons.

Ed

It runs out the bottom of the quill as fast as you pour it in the top. Mine is a total loss system.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - wawoodman - 01-31-2016

Much like the money in my checking account...

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 01-31-2016

(01-30-2016, 09:52 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 08:10 PM)EdK Wrote: The "manual" that came with my mill says to use this for the spindle:

Mobiel DTE Light
ISO32
Viscosity 31

ISO 10
Viscosity 9.6

Ed

It runs out the bottom of the quill as fast as you pour it in the top. Mine is a total loss system.

I just found gallon sized containers of Mobil DTE Light at McMaster. Smiley-dancenana

Ed