MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Sunset Machine - 01-31-2016

That would be standard hydraulic AW32, would it not? I use AW46 everywhere, getting it from the autoparts store. I've used AW32 but it seems too thin for my antiques. No damage, just a feeling. "compressor oil" "turbine oil" "tractor fluid" would work too, but if it's under warranty... Mobile DTE it is.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - arvidj - 01-31-2016

(01-31-2016, 11:25 AM)EdK Wrote: I just found gallon sized containers of Mobil DTE Light at McMaster.  Smiley-dancenana

Ed

Nice find and not a bad price ... $27 plus shipping.

Too bad you didn't get the 5 gallons from Enco on a 20% off and free shipping day. 5 gallons would have been $80 delivered and you would have had plenty of extra to spill on the floor [not saying how I know this  Smile ] or to use as a change after break-in.

What does the lathe take?

Arvid

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Roadracer_Al - 01-31-2016

If you're planning on keeping it, you'll go through the 5 gallons before you know it. As previously mentioned, mine is also like a British car -- the only time it doesn't leak is when it's out of oil.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - arvidj - 01-31-2016

(01-31-2016, 01:28 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote:  ... mine is also like a British car -- the only time it doesn't leak is when it's out of oil.

ROTFLMFAO

Note that their old Norton's, BSA and Triumph motorcycles had the same lubrication design engineer. Had a Doctorate in "Positive Loss Oil Systems".

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 01-31-2016

(01-31-2016, 01:24 PM)arvidj Wrote: Nice find and not a bad price ... $27 plus shipping.

Too bad you didn't get the 5 gallons from Enco on a 20% off and free shipping day. 5 gallons would have been $80 delivered and you would have had plenty of extra to spill on the floor [not saying how I know this  Smile ] or to use as a change after break-in.

What does the lathe take?

Arvid

You're probably right Arvid.
The manual says "Fill oil cup daily with Mobil DTE Light". I thought 1 gallon would last me a lifetime but I guess I don't know how much the "cup" takes.  17428

The lathe uses DTE Heavy Medium.

I better contact Matt about a break-in procedure. The manual doesn't say anything about a break-in procedure.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 01-31-2016

I got back from a family event early enough to take a stab at getting the mill ram down into the basement and was successful, although with a bit of cursing involved.
The other parts are likely going to have to wait until Arvid comes to help next weekend. I'm hoping we can get them all down into the basement then.

Ed

[attachment=12649]  [attachment=12650]

[attachment=12651]  [attachment=12652]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - arvidj - 02-01-2016

(01-31-2016, 06:08 PM)EdK Wrote: I better contact Matt about a break-in procedure. The manual doesn't say anything about a break-in procedure.

Ed

Maybe a gallon would be a life time supply?

Given that your mill is a belt drive it may not take nearly as much oil or require a break-in the way my gear drive mill did. Both the mill and the lathe were run for 10-15 minutes without a load in each speed to let the gears get to know each other. Then the box was drained and flushed with kerosene and refilled with the correct oil. But you don't have a gearbox so ...

Arvid

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 02-06-2016

I had to work today so we canceled Arvid's visit. I got home from work with enough energy to get the knee down into the basement to keep the ram company and the head is on the platform ready to be lowered into the basement. I have commitments for tomorrow but I should have enough time to lower it down. Then all that's left is the table and the main casting.  Smiley-dancenana

Ed

[attachment=12679]  [attachment=12680]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 02-07-2016

The head didn't quite make it into the basement. I got it into the entryway and checked it over in preparation for lowering it and didn't like the way it's attached to the sled so I aborted. I'll have to mull it over and get it fastened to the sled better before I attempt to lower it down. I've got some ideas but they'll have to wait for another day.

Got to get ready for the blizzard that's arriving shortly and goes through noon tomorrow.  Yikes

Ed

[attachment=12687]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 04:18 PM)EdK Wrote: Got to get ready for the blizzard that's arriving shortly and goes through noon tomorrow.  Yikes

Ed

Bummer dude.   Sad

Could be worse. My wife got T-boned in MY car last Friday on her way to work. So if that makes you feel any better.... Rotfl