MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 04-19-2016

OK Ed - it has been a little quiet on here as of late and I have read all the new posts and blown away some would be spammers (they don't even make it challenging any more). I happened to notice that this thread has currently consumed 44 pages (based upon the default number of posts per page) and to the best of my knowledge, not a solitary chip has been produced!

I checked the thread on my Kondia mill and noticed that after 2 years and nine months and a total of 36 pages, I completely rebuilt my machine and made some chips. I know that you have been unwell but now that you are back in the land of the living, I am throwing down the gauntlet! We all want to see some chips.

No pressure Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 04-19-2016

(04-19-2016, 05:42 AM)Mayhem Wrote: OK Ed - it has been a little quiet on here as of late and I have read all the new posts and blown away some would be spammers (they don't even make it challenging any more).  I happened to notice that this thread has currently consumed 44 pages (based upon the default number of posts per page) and to the best of my knowledge, not a solitary chip has been produced!

I checked the thread on my Kondia mill and noticed that after 2 years and nine months and a total of 36 pages, I completely rebuilt my machine and made some chips.  I know that you have been unwell but now that you are back in the land of the living, I am throwing down the gauntlet!  We all want to see some chips.

No pressure Big Grin

Rotfl

The challenge is accepted. I plan on taking Friday off, if work allows me, to get ready for Saturday. My brother is coming over and we're going to attempt to get the main casting down into the basement. If all goes well I hope to have the mill all back together by the end of the day Sunday, if I remember where all of the pieces go.  17428

Making chips will probably be some days after that since I need to get the VFD enclosure and hookup all done before I can run the mill.  Bash

Ed

P.S. Oh, and the 44 pages is just to make it difficult for anyone else to break my record. Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 04-24-2016

Adding to the epic length of this thread....

Any progress this weekend Ed?

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 04-25-2016

I knew I would get busted about this.  Blush

Not for the lack of trying but the mother ship is not in the basement yet. Got real close on Sunday but after measuring from the basement doorway to where the sled will sit on the platform in the garage, my come-along cable isn't long enough. I thought it had a 15ft cable but it's only 10ft. I need a minimum of 15ft. I still have a bit of work to get ready and should get it done this evening. The next two evenings are booked so I'm hoping on Thursday my brother and I can make the attempt.

Now even I'm getting sick of this thread.  Bash

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 04-25-2016

Lower it part way Ed then tie it off with a chain so you can add a chain to the end of the come along.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 04:35 PM)f350ca Wrote: Lower it part way Ed then tie it off with a chain so you can add a chain to the end of the come along.

That won't work. The come along is used to pull the sled off of the platform in the garage onto the entryway landing to the point of the first step of the stairs. Then the worm gear winch is attached to the mother ship to lower it down the stairs onto the planks and lower it to the basement. I should do a drawing to show how I'm doing this but I'm too lazy. Blush

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 04:35 PM)f350ca Wrote: Lower it part way Ed then tie it off with a chain so you can add a chain to the end of the come along.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just make sure the mill is held by a safety stop such as a couple of 2X6's.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Vinny - 04-25-2016

I still think tying a long rope to your car and onto the mother ship is the way to go. :)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - arvidj - 04-25-2016

Ed,

The offer to help, along with an electric winch with 33 feet of cable, two come alongs and multiple tow straps still applies.

Arvid

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 04-26-2016

You're definitely my backup plan Arvid so I do appreciate your offer.  Thumbsup

Ed