MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - the penguin - 05-01-2016

(05-01-2016, 02:56 PM)EdK Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 01:39 PM)the penguin Wrote: You got to love Chinese cosmolene

It is effective though. Just horrible to remove when it's put on heavily.  Bash

Ed

I once bought a Chinese 4 jaw chuck with D1-4 mounting, it looked like the put the chuck in the box, then pushed the hose through the side and pumped the box full.  I opened the box and it was a solid red mass of Chinese cosmolene, for a few moments I question the chuck was actually in the box.  I put the chuck in a 5 gallon pail, filled the pail to about the 4 gallon mark, with white kerosene, left it for 2 weeks (stirring it daily) and it still took another 8-10 hours to get it clean. I had to admit there was not any rust on it.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 05-01-2016

(05-01-2016, 09:28 PM)the penguin Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 02:56 PM)EdK Wrote:

It is effective though. Just horrible to remove when it's put on heavily.  Bash

Ed

I once bought a Chinese 4 jaw chuck with D1-4 mounting, it looked like the put the chuck in the box, then pushed the hose through the side and pumped the box full.  I opened the box and it was a solid red mass of Chinese cosmolene, for a few moments I question the chuck was actually in the box.  I put the chuck in a 5 gallon pail, filled the pail to about the 4 gallon mark, with white kerosene, left it for 2 weeks (stirring it daily) and it still took another 8-10 hours to get it clean. I had to admit there was not any rust on it.

Did you happen to insult someone in China?

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 05-02-2016

Russian, German and British cosmoline is every bit as bad as Asian cosmoline, so China isn't alone. Especially when it is 60+ years old. Smiley-gen151

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Pete O - 05-02-2016

A bloke I worked for about 25 years ago had a 1945 model Studebaker 6x6 truck that was in daily use. Blew one of the diff crownheels, we managed to find a 'new-old stock' part that had presumably been in that stuff since 1945. It was not letting go without a fight- we puzzled over how the stuff was ever supposed to come off. Pretty safe to say your mill will not be rusty if it has been coated in anything like the same way.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 05-02-2016

I forsee the pace to be ramping up as it starts to look more and more like a milling a machine. ;)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - pepi - 05-02-2016

Nothing seems to completely dissolve it. Used mineral spirits and it still came off in chunks. I assume the chunks are in there as added packing .. ;-)

They could cut shipping cost if they change the formula .....

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-02-2016

I use a putty knife on the thick stuff then use denatured alcohol to remove what's left. It works pretty good and is more pleasant smelling than mineral spirits or some of the other more potent stuff.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-02-2016

I had other commitments this evening so not much to show but I did get the one-shot lube system installed and the Y lead screw and bracket assembly. It has .002" of run-out. I can live with that.  Big Grin

Ed

[attachment=13221]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 05-02-2016

Now is the time to adjust the gib on the Y axis too, if you haven't already. I think it's easier to get the feel for how snug or loose it is, but do make sure there's plenty of way lube in the assembly. In fact, if I had my druthers I'd install and adjust the gib without the screw, just pushing it back & forth. Then install the screw.

So how are doing it or have already done it?

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 08:32 PM)PixMan Wrote: Now is the time to adjust the gib on the Y axis too, if you haven't already. I think it's easier to get the feel for how snug or loose it is, but do make sure there's plenty of way lube in the assembly. In fact, if I had my druthers I'd install and adjust the gib without the screw, just pushing it back & forth. Then install the screw.

So how are doing it or have already done it?

Add a test or dial indicator to the mix and you have my method.