MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-06-2016

Episode 51.1.

So I get the X gib on and adjusted nice and install the lead screw and do some tweaking with the two brackets to get it nice and smooth the full travel. Then I look to see what's next. Oh yeah, I've got to install the Y lead screw swarf guards. So I clean them up nice and shiny and go to install them and realize they should have been installed before the table and lead screw nuts bracket were installed. Oh $hit! I almost cried but instead called it a night and went looking for the bottle of wine I knew I had stashed somewhere.  Bash   Bash   Bash

Ed

[attachment=13244]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Pete O - 05-06-2016

Did the instructions not mention "assembly is the reverse of disassembly"?

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 05-06-2016

Don't worry Ed - I had several such moments when putting my mill back together. At one point I recall having to remove all of the internal gearing and shafts from the head and I remember having to lift the knee off again. But with perseverance and colourful language I managed to get the job done (and in fewer pages I might add).

Pete - you should know that modern machines and other consumer parts mostly now come with a sticker or big bold letters in the manual that state "no user serviceable parts inside" and discourage you from approaching their product with a tool of any description!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 05-07-2016

Just think how intuitively you'll know your machine from top to bottom by the time you're done!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 05-07-2016

If it makes you feel any better Ed, IIRC I did the same thing when putting my Humpty Dumpty back together again. Slaphead

Don't let them wear you down over how long it takes to get it done. My base and column sat outside in my back yard for two weeks in the rain (under a tarp). It took me that long to find someone with the equipment to do the job for me. None of the equipment rental places around here will rent to a "homeowner". Only businesses.

Finally found a friend of a friend who kindly loaded up his tractor onto his trailer and drove in from the next state over to do the deed. Cool

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 05-07-2016

(05-06-2016, 06:46 PM)EdK Wrote: Episode 51.1.

So I get the X gib on and adjusted nice and install the lead screw and do some tweaking with the two brackets to get it nice and smooth the full travel. Then I look to see what's next. Oh yeah, I've got to install the Y lead screw swarf guards. So I clean them up nice and shiny and go to install them and realize they should have been installed before the table and lead screw nuts bracket were installed. Oh $hit! I almost cried but instead called it a night and went looking for the bottle of wine I knew I had stashed somewhere.  Bash   Bash   Bash

Ed

I suspect it was much stronger than "wine". 5176

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 10:52 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: I suspect it was much stronger than "wine". 5176

No, I don't do stronger than wine. Happyno

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-07-2016

Today's progress. Lots of cleaning of the ram ways was required. So far I've only found one defect. I can live with that.

Time to head to my sister's for a catfish dinner.  Drool

Ed

[attachment=13245]  [attachment=13246]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 05:14 PM)EdK Wrote: Time to head to my sister's for a catfish dinner.  Drool

Ed

Is that an open invitation? :)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 05-07-2016

If that's the worst of what you find, rest easy. I wouldn't have been surprised to find much worse, that kind of defect is something you might find even within the guts of a high end machine (if a Monday or Friday build.)

Looking really good, Ed! I guess the heaviest, or most awkward piece that remains is the head itself. Then you'll spend a nearly equal amount of time tweaking things in. I don't recall if you had got the DRO option with that or not, or if it had been pre-installed. So what if anything needs to be added after assembly of the machine itself is complete?