MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 06:33 PM)PixMan Wrote:  Then you'll spend a nearly equal amount of time tweaking things in. I don't recall if you had got the DRO option with that or not, or if it had been pre-installed. So what if anything needs to be added after assembly of the machine itself is complete?

No DRO, yet. I'll get one eventually but my budget was already stretched to the max just getting the basic mill. I'm thinking the DRO will be a birthday present to myself which is in November. I did purchase a power feed for the X axis. I bought it while I was waiting for the mill to arrive and installing it will be one of the first things I do to the mill after I get it all up and running.

Once it's all reassembled I need to get the VFD and all of the controls wired in before I can make use of the mill. So it'll be awhile before the first chips are made.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 05:14 PM)EdK Wrote: Today's progress. Lots of cleaning of the ram ways was required. So far I've only found one defect.

That is unacceptable.  Stop what you are doing, dismantle everything and get it back up into your garage.  put it all back together and contact PM and tell them you want it replaced under warranty.  You will have to say that you noticed it when carefully inspecting it with a flashlight and a mirror.  

That should drag this thread out some more Rotfl

(05-07-2016, 06:33 PM)PixMan Wrote: If that's the worst of what you find, rest easy. I wouldn't have been surprised to find much worse, that kind of defect is something you might find even within the guts of a high end machine (if a Monday or Friday build.)

There were some days when I thought my Kondia had been built only on Sunday evenings by workers dragged in and not paid any overtime.   However, much of that was due to the abuse by the previous owners.  I agree with Ken here, you are going to really enjoy using that mill once you have it all back together.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-08-2016

The ring pointed at in the picture needs some type of lubrication before I attach the head to it. The surface looks like it was scrapped which would imply oiling it. The problem is how would you lubricate it periodically for maintenance? So should that surface be oiled or would grease work?

Ed

[attachment=13250]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 05-08-2016

I'd go with grease. It's a very low speed bearing that only moves during traming the head or setting it at an angle.

I'd also consider drilling four equally spaced (by eye) 1/8" or so holes perpendicular to the machined surface around 1/2" to 3/4" deep. Then drilling four cross connecting holes for grease zerts. When ever you tram it in just give each zert a shot of high pressure grease and swing it back & forth 45 degrees. That should keep the surface rust free.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 05-08-2016

I greased mine and wouldn't bother putting grease nipples in. It's a good idea but unnecessary in my opinion.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - wrustle - 05-08-2016

Looking good Ed! You'll be making chips in no time!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-08-2016

I looked at the mating surface of the head and it had grease on it so grease it is.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 05-09-2016

Sad news for Darren. This thread has almost run its course.

I predict only about ten more pages. Sad

Ed

[attachment=13255]

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - DaveH - 05-09-2016

Wow! look at that, doesn't it look splendid  Thumbsup   Thumbsup   Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 05-09-2016

I believe congratulations are in order. Well done!!!