MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 06-09-2016

(06-06-2016, 02:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: It wouldn't be set up if it lacked a DRO.

Gee, I guess I ran "non set up" Bridgeports for 30+ years then. None of them had DRO's but I was pretty darn good at counting off revs of .200" per turn.

Still am. :)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 06-10-2016

(06-09-2016, 05:14 PM)PixMan Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 02:48 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: It wouldn't be set up if it lacked a DRO.

Gee, I guess I ran "non set up" Bridgeports for 30+ years then. None of them had DRO's but I was pretty darn good at counting off revs of .200" per turn.

Still am. :)

A DRO will pay for itself in a month or less due to increased production and improved quality, especially when center to center of dowel holes is tight.  Yeah I ran mills & lathes W/O DRO's for at least that much time and ran lathes W/O a Travel Dial for years.  Amazing things happen when one keeps up with technology.

BTW, I rarely use HSS turning tools these days.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 06-10-2016

Anybody ever use a jog function on the mill? I've used it on my lathe but I'm not sure how useful it would be on a mill. I can eliminate a switch and the associated wiring if it' not going to be useful.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 06-10-2016

Might be handy for tapping Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 06-10-2016

I agree with Greg.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 06-11-2016

Yup, I thought of that after posting. It stays in the design.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 06-11-2016

I've had it on machines, and even my current lathe has a spindle jog button.

In sum total I have used them exactly ZERO times, and I do power tapping on both machines.

A jog button for feed on a mill...indispensable.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 06-12-2016

(06-11-2016, 08:15 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...my current lathe has a spindle jog button.

In sum total I have used them exactly ZERO times...

Not true - you pressed it when I first visited and you were showing me the controls for your lathe Big Grin

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 06-12-2016

(06-11-2016, 08:15 PM)PixMan Wrote: A jog button for feed on a mill...indispensable.

Ken, can you expand on that a bit? I consider a "rapid" feed button on the mill to be indispensable to quickly re-position the table, but a jog button? I've always believed a "jog" button refers to short and/or s-l-o-w movements. Chin

Is there an advantage of using a jog button over using the crank handles somehow for slow deliberate table movements? Or is it that "jog button" is just a generic term in the industry? I just want to know if there is a trick of the trade I'm missing here. Blush

I actually like having the jog button on my lathe and use it often. When the spindle is in it's lower speeds it's easier to roll the chuck over with the jog button vs. fighting the gear ratios to roll the chuck by hand, or kicking it in/out of gear to get a good look at the surface of a part ALL the way round. I've used it to rewind the "clock" springs on my mill quill feed, and small engine recoil starters, spooling wire, string, etc. 101 uses... Big Grin

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 06-12-2016

(06-12-2016, 11:12 AM)Highpower Wrote: Is there an advantage of using a jog button over using the crank handles somehow for slow deliberate table movements?

The jog button on the mill is for the spindle, not for table movement. At least on my mill.

Oh, and I use the jog button on the lathe quite often.

Ed