MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 06-12-2016

(06-12-2016, 12:01 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 11:12 AM)Highpower Wrote: Is there an advantage of using a jog button over using the crank handles somehow for slow deliberate table movements?

The jog button on the mill is for the spindle, not for table movement.

Ed

For the spindle? So is that to jog the spindle rotation, or the power down feed? Smiley-think005

I don't have a full size mill so I don't have a jog button nor a power down feed, so I'm clueless. Blush
But Ken did mention "feed" so I'm assuming he's NOT talking about spindle rotation.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 06-12-2016

On my mill it'll be for spindle rotation.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Pete O - 06-13-2016

The operator's manual on my mill states that the jog function is to aid lining up the gears when selecting speeds; don't know how relevant that is to a vertical spindle.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 06-13-2016

In my (feeble) mind, any jog button simply means that it's an "on" button that must remain pushed/engaged for the entire time it's being used. No lock-up circuit, anything it's doing stops when you let off.

The JOG button I have on my current mill (has 2 axis CNC control) is exactly that. It defaults to being a "rapid" button at 99 inches per minute but there's a +/- button next to it that scrolls through speed choices. The JOG button on my lathe is an on or off and the gear selected determines the RPM that it jogs at. I think I may have used it one time for indicating in (truing) a large round piece.

On this type of milling machine the only place I could potentially see it being used is to indicate a bore. I still wouldn't use it though because it is my policy to NEVER have the gear engaged as long as there's an indicator in, near or within sight of the spindle. You only have to spin a Last Word No.711 at 2000 rpm once to learn that lesson, and I learned it 40 years ago. (I have never done it but was standing right there when one of my high school mates did.)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 06-13-2016

Ahhh... OK then. I didn't even think about the CNC aspect. That takes it to a whole new level of control. Slaphead

Yeah, I can see where leaving a DTI in the spindle and hitting the on switch could put a damper on your day. The worst thing I've done (so far) is hitting the on switch and forgetting I had the spindle brake on and locked. The noise from the motor for a second or two is a small price to pay though compared to testing the G-forces on an indicator. Smiley-signs125

Pete reminded me of another way I use the jog button on my lathe. Changing feeds on the quick change gear box. Those straight cut gears never seem to be aligned when I want to move the levers. Hold the jog, light pressure on the lever(s) and they slide right in. Smile

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - zmotorsports - 06-24-2016

The mill is coming along nicely Ed. You will like the DRO. I was also tapped out budget wise when I purchased my PM935 but my son talked me into getting the DRO. I went with the basic model that Matt had available at the time with was the Eason ES8A and I have been more than happy with it. I have heard the ES12A is nicer with graphing features but to be honest the ES8A does everything I need it to.

Mike.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Mayhem - 07-06-2016

OK Ed - you have stretched this thread out long enough - we want to see some chips!

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 07-06-2016

(07-06-2016, 05:18 AM)Mayhem Wrote: OK Ed - you have stretched this thread out long enough - we want to see some chips!

Ooops! Busted, again.  Blush

This last weekend was a long one and my plans were to spend most of my time working on the wiring for the mill but it didn't happen. I had too much fun with family and friends. I had to order more parts from Digi-Key also which are supposed to be here Friday.

I think I've got a buyer for my old mill so now the pressure is on to get my new mill up and running so I can fix my old mill.  5176

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 07-18-2016

Any updates? It's been a couple of weeks.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 07-18-2016

Hi Ken,

I've got the VFD enclosure pretty well wired up and I'm ready to mount it to the wall behind the mill. Then I've got to hook up some temporary remote controls which shouldn't take too long. I was hoping to get that done this last weekend but forgot I had a graduation party to go to on Saturday and Sunday some of my siblings and I went out and had some fun so that cut into my shop time. I'm getting real close to powering it up though.

Ed