MetalworkingFun Forum
Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machinery (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Milling Machines (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Setting Up My PM935 Mill (/thread-2981.html)

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 07:52 AM)PixMan Wrote: Put a straightedge across the short dimension of the surface and check for light in the middle. Or, plop it on a surface plate and check with a dial test indicator. You shouldn't see any dip across the middle.

Excellent idea.  Thumbsup

I knew I was running way too slow but since that was the first cut the mill made I wanted to make sure it was working OK before I put the pedal to the metal. Big Grin

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 09-15-2016

(09-15-2016, 04:08 PM)EdK Wrote: I knew I was running way too slow but since that was the first cut the mill made I wanted to make sure it was working OK until I put the pedal to the metal.  Big Grin

Ed

That's not how you take a pick up on a test drive, ya gotta see just what it has.   Smiley-signs024

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - PixMan - 09-15-2016

Ed,

Next time you try a cut, do put up any chip deflectors you have and prepare to make blue chips.

I don't recall which grade of insert you got but very conservatively any of them I would have recommended (WKP35S or WSP45) can run 1018 CRS at 300 to over 1100 surface feet per minute. Assuming we stay low at 300sfm, that would be 572 rpm. for the 2" cutter. Now a feed rate. At 0.005" per tooth x 4 inserts x 572 = 11.44 inches per minute.

If you had a power feed, then it would be a conservative ballpark tolerance to set it at 10 inches per minute. Since you don't have a power feed (yet), consider the piece is 4" long, so at 10" per minute it would be 4 ÷ 10 = 0.4 minutes or about 24 seconds to make the cut. Make a practice pass above the part to get an idea but just the long side of one rotation of the handle per second.

You'll be shocked at how easy it cuts and how nice the finish comes out.

Oh yeah, try to get a 0.030" to 0.080" depth per pass. Instead of straddling the 2" mill centered on the width of the workpiece, have it cutting off-center by shifting the cutter to have little overhang on the exit side of the cut but no less than center of the cutter in line with the front edge of the block. You don't actually want to be climb milling in the pure sense, but try to avoid straight-up conventional milling with that cutter.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - EdK - 09-16-2016

(09-15-2016, 07:43 PM)PixMan Wrote: If you had a power feed

I do, but it's not installed yet. I may tackle that this weekend. Thanks for the advise, it's greatly appreciated.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - the penguin - 09-16-2016

Power feeds are a God send.....

I'm getting so lazy , I have to have power feeds on the X, Y and Knee, I won't use a crank unless its a matter of life or death.

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Highpower - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 08:48 AM)the penguin Wrote: Power feeds are a God send.....

I'm getting so lazy , I have to have power feeds on the X, Y and Knee, I won't use a crank unless its a matter of life or death.

Don't forget the power drawbar. Big Grin

Even after only having used the mill a few times now, a knee power feed is definitely moving to the top of the list.

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - Dr Stan - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 03:53 PM)EdK Wrote: Even after only having used the mill a few times now, a knee power feed is definitely moving to the top of the list.

Ed

How about making an adapter to fit a cordless drill/driver that fits where the Z axis handle goes?  I've thought about it myself.  If a drill/driver does not have enough umph try a pneumatic impact wrench. I think someone on the forum produced a drawing of the business end of such an adapter.

(09-16-2016, 05:09 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: How about making an adapter to fit a cordless drill/driver that fits where the Z axis handle goes?  I've thought about it myself.  If a drill/driver does not have enough umph try a pneumatic impact wrench.  I think someone on the forum produced a drawing of the business end of such an adapter.

I'd have to go buy a cordless drill with enough oomph to drive it and then make the adapter. Making the adapter is easy but I'm like Jack, lazy. I'd have to go find the cordless drill followed by a search for the adapter and by the time I got done with those two events I'd call it a day. Smile

Ed

RE: Setting Up My PM935 Mill - f350ca - 09-16-2016

Pretty much where Im at Ed. Would like one every time I use the mill. I'd like one but never get to making one. I did try disabling the impact action of an old air impact with the idea of using it, they produce VERY little torque with out the impact.