MetalworkingFun Forum
What to do with old rounds - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Gunsmithing (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: What to do with old rounds (/thread-3257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What to do with old rounds - schor - 08-03-2016

Cleaning up my late father in laws tool hoard(s) and am coming across lots of old ammo. Probably no good anymore, what should I do with it? I cannot take it back to canada with me. In michigan close to lapeer.

RE: What to do with old rounds - Highpower - 08-03-2016

Somebody will buy it. Nothing wrong with old ammo as long as it has been kept somewhat clean and dry. I've got surplus ammo from the 1940's that still shoots just fine.

If you don't want to deal with selling it, pull the bullets and sprinkle the gunpowder in the garden. It's high in Nitrogen and makes a good fertilizer.

RE: What to do with old rounds - JScott - 08-03-2016

(08-03-2016, 12:10 PM)Highpower Wrote: Somebody will buy it. Nothing wrong with old ammo as long as it has been kept somewhat clean and dry. I've got surplus ammo from the 1940's that still shoots just fine.

If you don't want to deal with selling it, pull the bullets and sprinkle the gunpowder in the garden. It's high in Nitrogen and makes a good fertilizer.

This.

RE: What to do with old rounds - rleete - 08-03-2016

A friend of mine has an old Browning shotgun.  "Sweet 16" it's called.  He got it from his grandfather, who went out and bought a whole case of ammo for it back when he bought the gun.  This is paper cartridge ammo, and is probably 50 years old.  He's never had a misfire, ever.

I used to have an old Sharps falling block rifle.  The kind Custer's men used back in the day.  Heavy as hell, but it could knock down a bear at 150 yards.  The ammo I had for it was antique, some of it pretty corroded.  I used metal cleaner/polish on it so it wouldn't jam in the breech, and it still fired.  Wish I'd kept that one, might be worth something now days.

If kept dry, almost all ammo will last indefinitely.

RE: What to do with old rounds - Vinny - 08-03-2016

If you can't get rid of it, you can bring it here. I'm just south of you in Oxford. Right down M-24 from you.

RE: What to do with old rounds - schor - 08-03-2016

(08-03-2016, 04:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: If you can't get rid of it, you can bring it here. I'm just south of you in Oxford. Right down M-24 from you.

I might take you up on that Vinny. I am in the process of cleaning and prepping for a tool garage sale most likely in september, Once I find everything bullet related I might pack it all up and come down.

Beside all that therer are lots of harbor freight crap that I just need to dump, but I have also filled 2 tool boxes for myself, one with some good tools, iterapid, starret, m&w, ... the other with taps, hand tools, drills, reamers, ... Will do a tool score video of it all when I get home. I like to do the vids as a good way to inventory of my tools.

RE: What to do with old rounds - Vinny - 08-03-2016

Let me know when you have that tool garage sale. I'll come up for it.

edit: What kind of harbor freight crap?

RE: What to do with old rounds - schor - 08-03-2016

There will be more than harbor freight stuff :-) Let me try to take a few pictures tomorrow and give you the first look and first dibs. I'm always ready to give to a fellow forum person that the guy walking in.

There are some good things. A couple of tool carts from his old gm days, he was a machine repair guy at gm in pontiac. I still have tons to get through but your welcome to drop in. He hoarded everything down to empty cardboard boxes. The dumpster arrives tomorrow for the garbage.

Scrap steel that I was going to try to get someone to pick up and offer them the old batteries/copper/brass bits just to get someone to take the junk steel.

I think I counted 3 trailer ball hitches just by looking around. It's just a ton of all sorts of stuff. 12 volt winch, routers, dremels, router bit sets, carbid burs (which I will keep), hammers, oil filters, universals, I still don't really know everything, only been at it for about 12 hours over the last 2 days.

RE: What to do with old rounds - rdhem2 - 08-04-2016

Sounds really interesting.  Thought about a road trip to BC maybe?  I am on the wrong side of the world from you!!!!!  

Bye

RE: What to do with old rounds - schor - 08-04-2016

I've been at it at least 18 hours over the last 3 days, dumpster is about 1/3 full of wood, garbage, whatever is worth nothing, he kept everything it seems, down to old trim he removed when doing renos on the house.

I brought 2 empty toolboxes with me. This one contains drills taps easyouts, burrs lufkin tape measure, hammers, wrenches, punch set, small clamps, pneumatic fittings and more.

[Image: 2sMSOsLLxE7odjwF6KZtF9IrexaAnmUjXO66BmzE...94-h672-no]

This box holds interapid dti, starrett dti, fowler caliper and more, also a full starrett hole saw kit.

[Image: FNCbW8ZwP951lMNv8UgliEirsvzIqXiv57wEuT9s...94-h672-no]

Wire wheels, mallet, sandvik chisels, files and file handles.

[Image: mTf0zZgSIF9NAD5pFwAUFjtzBoFj8S6YoAFniYL_...94-h672-no]

And that's the stuff I am keeping for sure.

There's a shelf of tools still, 3 more tool boxes ith stuff I still need to go through completely.

[Image: Hde66rzd3-3dbIhMqWzh_F-0x8sDHnK8tQyZmhpO...95-h880-no]

Most of the stuff here came from the basement.

[Image: tM-wqK9cSjeXlOTywo8DHYJzTppU-tKAeazhMTYw...94-h672-no]

Tablesaw and compressor will be sold.

[Image: 9rXS0iCRyHvbwM9bmyvMH5DEzX1j5WJziyok5zpX...94-h672-no]

Wrenches, die handles, sockets, drill bits, comealong, and more, most will be sold.

[Image: JcxoOUz6Si3UA8fa0s-bFFTJJ-DCyP_CnL4lHLjZ...94-h672-no]

Radial arm saw and drill press to be sold.

[Image: nyZMBTDsm5pchxiFX9O4RY29xu5UHyemjzt6KLm4...94-h672-no]
[Image: FdTN7jRHapdccw9tLnbBhGPn840UCAkcjM10ic45...94-h672-no]

I have not even reached his work tool cart yet.

[Image: Zz5NG520lFCjTz-orajjYVXACMYrzbHo7a5lwRSn...94-h672-no]

And then there are 2 horse stalls to get through.

[Image: lJaXykjga6cDfLegG0NviTXu8MfWRGvEP42LVYZq...94-h672-no]
[Image: IRkt5RW-fIY8GthxBrCpG-sU1dTwxlse7o_d7rRV...94-h672-no]

At least the stalls don't look too bad.

I've got at least 40 more hours to get through it all I would think. Going to take another few trips.