MetalworkingFun Forum
custom wheel barrow - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: custom wheel barrow (/thread-3294.html)

Pages: 1 2

custom wheel barrow - Dr Stan - 09-02-2016

Started this project when I was working 12hrs/day 6 & 7 days a week.  Just could not find any time to work on it.  Retirement has its perks.   Big Grin 

I used sq & rec tubing I acquired via dumpster diving so that reduced the costs considerably.  At first I intended to make a typical walk behind WB, but changed my mind about 1/2 way through.  Decided to make it tow-able behind my garden tractor.

One thing not seen in the photos is the 1/4" aluminum diamond plate reinforcing the bottom of the tub.

[Image: DSCN1628_zpsrqvp6weq.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1630_zpsu1djqbmk.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1632_zpsapzytrvi.jpg]
Certainly not in a class with the wood processor, but I expect it to come in quite handy when I raise the shop roof.

RE: custom wheel barrow - Vinny - 09-02-2016

Good idea... Looks good too!

RE: custom wheel barrow - DaveH - 09-02-2016

Very smart Thumbsup  nice job Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: custom wheel barrow - Highpower - 09-03-2016

What stops it from rolling away from you once you get it vertical? (Dumping)
Or is it just a more stylish garden wagon? Chin

RE: custom wheel barrow - Dr Stan - 09-03-2016

(09-03-2016, 09:43 AM)Highpower Wrote: What stops it from rolling away from you once you get it vertical? (Dumping)
Or is it just a more stylish garden wagon?  Chin

Guess we'll find out.   Yikes

RE: custom wheel barrow - Black Forest - 09-06-2016

You need to move your front axle back toward the handles far enough so the front of the frame will hit the ground so you will be able to tip and dump. The way it is now you better wear shin guards because if it doesn't just keep rolling forward and it actually does dump it will run backwards into you.

Nice wagon just needs a slight modification to be practical. I have had horses my whole life so I am an expert with wheelbarrows! Rotfl

RE: custom wheel barrow - krv3000 - 09-06-2016

well dune

RE: custom wheel barrow - Pete O - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Black Forest Wrote: You need to move your front axle back toward the handles far enough so the front of the frame will hit the ground so you will be able to tip and dump.

I was going to keep my mouth shut, but since BF has raised it, I had a thought along the same lines- the wheels need to be closer in under the tub so that when you tip, the weight in the front of the barrow is assisting you. As it is, you will be lifting the entire weight through the whole tipping action. Also, when you load heavy items, you put them in the front of the barrow and the wheel carries the weight rather than the handles. Moving the axle rearward will address all of these things.
I've never had horses but I spent about 5 years as a bricklayer. I reckon I know about wheelbarrows!

Very nice job by the way, I especially like the towing system.

RE: custom wheel barrow - Highpower - 09-06-2016

Send it off to Greg and get it motorized. Then you won't even need the garden tractor! I'm sure he has a few extra chain saw engines sitting around. Big Grin

RE: custom wheel barrow - Dr Stan - 09-07-2016

(09-06-2016, 05:02 PM)Pete O Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Black Forest Wrote: You need to move your front axle back toward the handles far enough so the front of the frame will hit the ground so you will be able to tip and dump.

I was looking at it again yesterday and came to the same conclusion.  Moving the tub forward will not be difficult.