MetalworkingFun Forum
tale of two indicator holders - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: tale of two indicator holders (/thread-333.html)

Pages: 1 2

tale of two indicator holders - dallen - 04-20-2012

indictor holders we've all seem em, and some of use have went to the trouble of making them. their nothing new and no matter how many bells and whistle's you put on one its still an indicator holder.

not too long after getting my old Enco 12" I made a indicator holder to use on the tool post. reason was it was the most logical place to put one when center up stock in the chuck. I didn't want a high dollar indicator on it, cause I don't have any high dollar indicators, just wanted something to hold what I did have securely, so I made what you see in the first photo.

[Image: Indicator-Holder-0010.jpg]

it wasn't pretty, and made out of steel was about as heavy as the Titantic, but it worked you just didn't want to drop in on your feet when wearing you carpet slippers.

So the other day in a fit of boredom I decided to make a new one, this one was to be made out of aluminum, and use a slightly damaged digital indicator that I had given about 40 dollars for. so here it is in the next couple of photos one with the indicator mounted and one without.

[Image: Indicator-Holder-0020.jpg]

[Image: Indicator-Holder-0030.jpg]

I set the height of the indicator so that when the holder is placed on the tool post the pointer is at tool center within a reasonable couple of thousands of an inch.

RE: tale of two indicator holders - miner49r - 04-20-2012

Boredom is the mother of invention. Looking very functional.
Alan

RE: tale of two indicator holders - EdK - 04-20-2012

Another one for the ever-growing list. Rolleyes

Ed

RE: tale of two indicator holders - DaveH - 04-20-2012

Dallen

Well I think they are very pretty and pretty usefull as well SmileSmileSmile

Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: tale of two indicator holders - doubleboost - 04-20-2012

Look like a propper job to me
At least they wont flex

RE: tale of two indicator holders - krv3000 - 04-20-2012

yep as ED says a nuther one for the list wel dun

RE: tale of two indicator holders - PixMan - 05-13-2012

Of all the things that I don't have time to make, that would be one of them. Big Grin

Seriously, that's a great idea and well-executed. For me, the amount of time I spend indicating a work piece on the lathe and setting up one of my dial indicators isn't going to add up to the time I'd spend over-engineering and double-checking something like that. For me, that is. I may like it and want one, but I'm realistic in knowing I'm just never going to get around to doing it.

I'll post the thing I did find time to make yesterday...sometime soon.

RE: tale of two indicator holders - flutedchamber - 09-08-2012

Very nice work. My Nardini could stand something like that. A standard height magnetic base indicator holder is too short. The longer vertical arm that I installed makes it top heavy to an extent and the added length makes it more easily tipped.

This would solve the problem a lot better than my idea. Thank you.

RE: tale of two indicator holders - dallen - 09-09-2012

(09-08-2012, 10:33 PM)flutedchamber Wrote: Very nice work. My Nardini could stand something like that. A standard height magnetic base indicator holder is too short. The longer vertical arm that I installed makes it top heavy to an extent and the added length makes it more easily tipped.

This would solve the problem a lot better than my idea. Thank you.

if you have problems with the mag base sticking you could do what I did after being throughly ticked off about my cheap azz chinese bases not staying where they were stuck. I installed a new magnet in one of the ones that I had now it stays stuck.

I made a holder and stuck in a Neo Magnet that supposedly has 47 pounds of pull. I do know that it will pick up a 6 inch lathe chuck

proof in the picture

[attachment=2889]

RE: tale of two indicator holders - Wawoodman - 09-09-2012

And the use of that is for more accuracy than the bump wheel method?

When making that, how is the center portion excavated? Was that done with a boring bar? Is the interrupted cut an issue?

Lord, I've got a lot to learn! Bash